Rat Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

I have a question for you rat people.

I've noticed that when I have Remy out (such as when he's sitting with me watching TV), he'll feel like he's shivering at times. Is he nervous or content? He usually just sits here in my lap and chills, or grooms himsef. Any ideas?

If he's grooming himself, he is feeling comfortable with you. Rats don't let their guard down and groom unless they feel safe.

Is there a grinding sound along with the shivering?

Sometimes theres a grinding sound, other times theres not. Remy is definatey a lot more out going than Rebel is.

Sometimes theres a grinding sound, other times theres not. Remy is definatey a lot more out going than Rebel is.
Bruxing (teeth grinding) is a contented action in rats. One day you may see boggling. That's when they brux so hard it puts pressure on their optic nerve and their eyes go in and out.

You can see boggling in this video starting at 0:10 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlFNVpDJzbU&feature=related

Bruxing (teeth grinding) is a contented action in rats. One day you may see boggling. That's when they brux so hard it puts pressure on their optic nerve and their eyes go in and out.

You can see boggling in this video starting at 0:10 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlFNVpDJzbU&feature=related

Wow I didn't know this phenomenom existed in rats! I have to say as someone who has no experience in rats, it's a little scary! He looks like he's about to pop!

Not all rats boggle. Actually it's pretty cool to see and you know they are happy as can be. The optical nerve runs very close to the mandible. When they get to bruxing hard, it puts pressure on the nerve and the result is bruxing.

The first time my rat boggled I thought she was going to explode. o_o It is a weird sight if you aren't prepared for it.

Back