Ramps?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sarah999

I have had my chinchilla for almost two years now in a Martins cage with ramps. She has not had any problems with them at all so far...but looking at the pics of everyone's amazing cages, I see that no one has ramps in their cage. Are ramps bad for chinchillas? Should I remove them??? All help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks:)

They aren't necessarily bad, as long as they are solid, they just aren't needed. Chins are leapers and get along just fine w/o them

I don't think ramps are bad so much as completely unnecessary. Chins can jump a very high distance and it's a healthy activity for them. By removing the ramps you give your chin more room to stretch and jump and play so that outside playtime isn't their only playtime.

Wire ramps with holes in them can be harmful. Chins have gotten toes stuck and you'll find them dangling from one leg from the ramps. Not trying to scare you but it has happened many many times before.

I am someone who had a chin get their leg caught on the cage (though it was the door, not a ramp) so I can tell you first hand that they aren't the safest thing. My chin is still healing from his leg injury which happened 2 months ago now. It isn't worth it to take the chance, nor the vet cost, when they can just be removed.

I agree with Tab. Chins love to jump around, and with a ramp in the way they can't do that as much. Ledges and shelves offer them the room to hop around while letting there be a bit more cage space as well.

Yea i had ramps in my cage and yesterday i took them out and now hes hopping all over and he seems happier...
He was confused at first but he got it right away and now just hops all over his cage

Okay..I think I'm going to remove her ramps...they are wire and I can see how they can be dangerous. I'm just worried that she won't be able to hop from level to level without getting hurt...maybe a few more ledges would be a good idea too! thank you so much to everyone for all the help!!!!:thumbsup:

I only have ramps in one cages and they are solid plastic & the chin is not a chewer BUT i also have several ledges in there for him to jump on.

I would say if they are wire, definitely take them out but make sure you stagger some ledges so your chin cant fall from the top of the cage to the bottom........like where the ramps used to be OR put a nice hammock or something in the empty space.

I had wire ramps in Tinkerbell's cage until recently. They were wire ramps and to make them safer, I sewed fleece around them so she couldn't get her foot or leg down and stuck between the wires. I kept them because she seemed to prefer them - she had seemed totally lost when I took them out the first time. But I took them out and added plenty of ledges for her to jump around on and she was so happy. She loves jumping around to all the ledges and can easily get to her shelves where her food bowl/water and hidey house are.

Before I joined C+H, [3 or 4 yrs. ago] I covered all the ramps with 1/4 X 1/4 hardware screen to avoid any problems, and still haven't had any in the couple I have left!

Today I completely cleaned my chinchillas cage and removed two of her three ramps. The third I kept in because it is in a position where I can't place any ledges and it would be a difficult jump for her. She seems so much happier and loves to jump on the ledges, plus there is so much more room in her cage. Now I can fit the new hidey house I built her...She LOVES it! Thanks again for the advice!

Back