Quick Question!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyjre

I have a lil cockatiel as well as my chin. They have a fun game they've set up. I don't let them out of the cages at the same time but the birdcage is in the livingroom and that is where i let the chin have free time. It seems that if the chin runs over by the birdcage my lil tiel will EVERY time drop out some piece of her own food. Be it a pellet or a seed. And the chin gets it before I can get to it. I swear they are doing it on purpose I can see Leila(tiels) beedy little eye peekin at me when she does it. I try to keep the chin away from her but that doesn't always work out. I just want to make sure it won't hurt her. I'm not sure how to remedy it really guess maybe move the bird to another room. But she flock calls terrible when she's not in the living room.

It's definitely not good for your chin, considering bird feed is full of nuts, seeds, and other things that chins absolutely should not have. These are way too high in fat and protein and it could be dangerous to your chin's health.

If you can not keep it from happening, let your chin out in a different room or find a way to block the area off. If you can't do any of that, then just don't let your chin out at all.

Put a barrier around the parameter of the cage to the food drops to the floor and the chin can't get it.

Just thought I'd update. I told my boyfriend today that the bird feed wasn't good for the chin and when I can home he had built a whole new stand for the bird cage so the bottom part of the cage actually sits down inside the stand and it extends far enough out all the way around that she can't drop anything out from it. Thanks for the help.

That's really awesome that your boyfriend did that because birds carry bacteria that's not good for chins either. Now you don't need to worry about it.

Back