Quick Question about Ferret Nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyLynn

Would it be alright to split it in half for my two girls? Is one half of it enough space for each one, or will I need to give extra playtime? I currently have my first chin, Lilo, in the top half only of the FN since she's still young (I didn't want her to have so much space to tire herself out). Chelsea is currently in the Feisty Ferret, but I'd really like to create some more space in here and I don't really like the wire flooring of the Feisty Ferret on Chelsea's feet. Would it be ok if I split it in two?

I think that some people may think that bigger is better and obviously we loooove to spoil our chins however there are others who breed chins that keep them in runs that are usually quite small. That being said...do I personally think half of a FN level is adequate for a chin?...yes I do because chins seem to feel safe in smaller spaces. As long as you don't feel bad for splitting the cage then I say go for it. If you need the space then you have to prioritize.

I currently have a FN 141 and Gizmo has been in it for about a year and a half. It suits 1 chin just fine. I have a wheel in there for play time and a few ledges at different heights. I do eventually want to get a second level, just cuz I want to spoil him.

half of a two storey FN is just fine for one chin. enough ledges so they can hop around, a fleece tube or hanging house to snooze/hide in, lots of toys and wood to chew, and a wheel would be nice (but not necessary) to keep that edge of energy away.

I've got three FN's, one has a pair of girls, one is divided between two girls and one girl has a whole FN to herself, for now. Got a new baby coming in November who will hopefully eventually share it with her. :)

I think ideally I would love to have my single girls in larger cages, but I am short on room for now. Maybe after we move I will look into it.

I have 2 3 level cages of the FN cages. I have at least 2 chins per level and there is PLENTY of room for the chins. I plan on having at least 3 more 3 levels for my chins - again , at least 2 per cage.

Thanks guys! Until these two decide to get along, they'll be divided. They seem quite happy and I even made some extra ledges to make their halves more exciting. Now I can sell this Feisty Ferret to buy MORE stuff for them. Gosh, chinchilla shopping/decorating is way too fun for me. :)

I have a FN and keep two sets of pairs in it, one pair per level and they are quite content. You will find that most chins find a high corner that they like and spend 90% of their time there anyway.

Back