Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gpaterno78

I have a question for everybody what type of filtered water do you give your chinchilla? I was using filtered then my filter pitcher broke and I switched to well water and my chin has soft poops. So I bought a Brita filter that attaches to my sink is this ok?

Reverse osmosis is the kind of filtered water I use. If you are using a filter that attaches to your sink you need to make sure that it will filter out spores and the like (giardia is one of the key things that you are trying to filter out). Some Brita filters are designed to due this and others are not. Pur filters are good ones to use and there are a couple others that I can't recall... maybe others can chime in?
I would recommend by reverse osmosis bottled water until you can get a proper home filter. Also keep a close eye on your chin's eating, drinking, and pooping for signs of illness.

Ok thanks I had a Brita filter before and she was fine with that she is eating fine her poop has just been smushy on her ledges.

I use Pur water filters. They attach right onto the end of your faucet. They filter out a lot of stuff including giardia.

I bought a new Brita filter that filters giardia so I hope the soft poops clear up

We use Dasani water. We like drinking it ourselves anyway. Reverse osmosis with no minerals and salts added back in is debatable. Many vets and all doctors are against drinking RO or distilled water because it can dilute the minerals and salts in the body too much causing health issues. Spring water, tap water, and well water is also not safe because of the bacteria, chlorine, or the opposite of ro/distilled with the water containing too much minerals. I suggest a bottled water that has been RO/dilstilled filtered and then had minerals and salts added back in for flavor and health.

Now my chin is hardly pooping at all I took her pellets out and now just giving her Timothy hay and water

Your chin might have caught giardia if there was a time when the water wasn't being filtered properly which would mean a visit to the vet and a fecal sample

Back