Question on Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The1nOnlyMatty

From reading here I don't think my boys get anything that truly qualifies as a "treat." They have never had a cheerio, raisin, or shredded wheat. I plan to keep it that way. They can't miss what they never had. After a recent health issue their diet was reduced to nothing but hay and water. We have reintroduced pellets and they are much more moderate with them now. I put approximately a tablespoon of pellets per chin in the bowl. That will last days while the hay we're lucky if it lasts thirty minutes.

Ok, background out of the way, so here's the question. Their treats they receive are sticks, rose hips, probiotic cookies, and crabapple (they get the whole thing: twig, leaves, and buds). I moderate the rose hips and cookies. The rose hips we use like raisins for training. My question is whether the crabapple or sticks need to be moderated. The crabapple is their absolute favorite and they go crazy over it (normally a good five minutes of Popcorning before they finally eat) I like giving it to them rather often, normally a twig per chin a day. Is this acceptable? Or should I moderate it down some? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

They can have all the sticks they want. No limit. My girls have a stick box in their cages that I keep stock with all kinds (apple, crabapple, pear, mulberry, kiwi,blackberry, willow, poplar,magnolia, etc ) just to name a few. They search for the kind they want. Everyday I take out chewed sticks, put the ones they didn't want that day back into the box and replenish if need be.

Has the wood been dried properly or are you giving fresh twigs? I have never seen baked twigs with leaves and anything.

Can I ask how you prepare the crabapple wood with the leaves and buds still on them?

Can I ask how you prepare the crabapple wood with the leaves and buds still on them?

I am curious about this also, as I would think they would separate during the boiling process, and the leaves would burn during baking.

I would continue to monitor the cookies and rose hips. My rule is no more than 1 food-type treat per day, but I typically only give them something like that 3-4 times in a week. I would also increase the pellets. If you have them on a quality pellet, that shouldn't be detrimental to their health. Chins don't overeat, and pellets offer other valued nutrients that hay alone does not. That is wonderful that your chins are so fond of hay, though!

Back