Question About Natural Light and Night-time

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinwawa

Besotted Chinchilla Lover
My chins are in a bedroom that has become a chin room. The ac is on for them and I lower the venetian blinds when the sun swings to that window. The room is light but not too bright. The sun does not shine right on the cages at all.

The chins are in the natural light that comes in the window all day. I do not leave any electric lights on during the day. When I come home from work I open the blinds so that they get the evening light.

After the sun goes down or when I come home from work I put on the overhead light fixture and leave it on until after cage cleaning and playtime.

When I am ready to go to bed in the living room (now that the bedroom is the chin room), I open the blinds all the way and turn off the electric light.

The chins get light that comes into the window from the street and the parking lot lights right near my window. They also get all of the natural light as the sun comes up and in the morning until afternoon when the sun swings around again.

I thought it was important for them to have as natural a day night cycle as I could give them with as much natural light as possible. They are in the dark from about 12 midnight until the sun comes up. So they are doing all their very late night playing that way. The room is not pitch dark there is much light coming in from the street and right outside the window.

I hope I am doing the right thing. I would appreciate advice and instruction.

Thank you, Faye

My chins are in the dark all night in their room, but i leave a night light in there for them and they dont seem to be bothered, they are nocturnal and probably do appreciate some of the darkness.

They do fine with natural, artificial and no light. My current setup has no windows so when the lights go out they're in the dark. They don't seem to care much. They use their whiskers over their eyes for navigation anyhow. :))

I don't do anything special for Idgie re: lighting. I keep the blinds shut during the day b/c I don't want the sun beating in on her (or my house), especially in the summer. I don't think that she needs light to see at night, though there is a nightlight in the hallway nearby.

Back