question about intros

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaotictenshi

Proud Mama
If you have a spayed female and a not neutered male in one cage together is it the same introduction procedure to introduce another male into the cage? Will the hormones still get the best of the 2 males even though she cannot breed? I've only introduced same sex to same sex, never anything else. Should it just go through the throw all 3 of them together out for play time with a dust bath once it's time to introduce or should I try each separate?

I, personally, would never put a female with two males. Even if she cannot breed, they would still probably fight over her. I think that would just be asking for trouble. If you want a pal for your other male, I would just suggest getting another male and hope they get along and be prepared if they don't. JMO.

I don't know, she wouldn't come into heat, but they would still know she is female. I would stick with be safe than sorry.

Nooo, I would definitely not put two non-altered males in with a female, regardless of whether she's spayed or not. Their hormones haven't changed and they may fight. Two females with a male? Yes. Two males with a female? No.

I'm sure someone has done it, and done it successfully, but it wouldn't be a risk I'd be willing to take.

Thank you guys, I did agree with all of your statements I was just wondering if anyone has actually done it..I wasn't sure with the female being unable to breed would make the males hormones stay at bay, but I guess a female is a female, good point to all...thank you! I actually decided earlier that I am giving the other male to someone else, I got him for free and have limited space for a period of time (my house is getting worked on and everythings in one room AHHH) There is a loving family in my town that would love to take him and of course there is no charge as long as he is in a good home. Thank you for all your advice I'm going to stick with 2 chinnies for now lol

Back