Quarantine cage--will this work?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinTheSmallAndFurry

I know eventually we will get another chin--I can't bear the bottom level to stay empty forever. :(-- and of course need to quarantine. I purchased two of these cages as portables/emergencies, and they've held up quite well: http://bassequipment.com/Cages/Carrying+Cages+Etc/default.aspx

Do you think they're adequate/big enough for a full grown chin for 30 days? (Provided I put down some fleece since the bottom is wire.) I've seen the Quality cages but I'd rather use what I've got if they'll work.

Appreciate feedback.

Those are really tiny chins need to jump around and there is really no room to jump around I agree craigslist and local used classifieds can sell some really cheap or even in some case free cages that are better quality and larger....30 days is a long time to sit there while in quarantine I would be worried about chin getting very bored and cramped thats just what I think

I also would agree that those cages are quite small. For a carrier or a cage for them to sit in while you clean I don't see that it would be an issue. However, for a full thirty days I think that is far too tiny for a chin to be happy in. As far as moving a new chin into the FN, I would make sure you clean the cage really well before doing so. You do not know what happened to your previous chin or whether it could be contageous.

I also would agree that those cages are quite small. For a carrier or a cage for them to sit in while you clean I don't see that it would be an issue. However, for a full thirty days I think that is far too tiny for a chin to be happy in. As far as moving a new chin into the FN, I would make sure you clean the cage really well before doing so. You do not know what happened to your previous chin or whether it could be contageous.

Since I don't know what happened to my little guy, I'm taking my girl to the vet this week for an exam to be on the safe side. But yes, I will be cleaning it out thoroughly. Also the cage is completely separated by a wire shelf as well as a metal pan on top of that for each floor.

What kind of cage would you guys recommend for a quarantine? I know one that's metal/isn't painted, but I've never had to quarantine a little one so I have no clue... ?

I think what type of cage depends a bit on how old the chinchilla you get is. However if you're going to spend money on a cage you might as well get something nice. There's no telling if something will happen and you'll need to separate your current two or if the new one would get ill and need to be away from the others. These of course we hope never happen but decent cages are in the hundred dollar range most times which means you'll want one you actually like. Have you looked on ebay or craigslist? You might be able to get a decent cage for cheap. I've seen bird cages converted nicely to chin cages and those are available all the time on my local craigslist. A used cage might be the way to go.

For a quarantine cage you'll want just an everyday chin cage that will work for the time being. Doesn't have to be fancy, doesn't have to be a FN, just a cage with the right stuff in it that they can jump around in.

The cages we use for quarantine are about 20x30x20. I think that's a decent size, but I've seen people go smaller and use a cage that maybe could fit only one level...and that'd be ok to. You just don't want to go so small that the chin can't move around much. Its still gotta function as a cage for 30 days, not a carrier for a few mins.

Hope this helps you. :))

I second Craigslist. I use one like this for quarantine. If you search Craigslist for rabbit cages, you might be able to find something similar for under $30.

For a quarantine cage you'll want just an everyday chin cage that will work for the time being. Doesn't have to be fancy, doesn't have to be a FN, just a cage with the right stuff in it that they can jump around in.

The cages we use for quarantine are about 20x30x20. I think that's a decent size, but I've seen people go smaller and use a cage that maybe could fit only one level...and that'd be ok to. You just don't want to go so small that the chin can't move around much. Its still gotta function as a cage for 30 days, not a carrier for a few mins.

Hope this helps you. :))

Thanks, GreyChins! Dimensions were what I was looking for, :) I think the one we're getting will be about 4-5 months old.

I second Craigslist. I use one like this for quarantine. If you search Craigslist for rabbit cages, you might be able to find something similar for under $30.

I have been checking Craigslist; unforunately most people in my area have no idea what a chinchilla is, much less a cage for them. I have found a few dog cages, but that seems a bit too big. Question about the Petsmart cage you listed, isn't that mostly plastic? I would have to do a lot of modifiying to make sure he/she didn't chew that, I'd rather just have it as is. :hmm:

What's the bar spacing on that like? It might be workable temporarily however if the spacing is large then a young chinchilla or even an adult chinchilla will be able to escape. For $60 I think it'd be worth saving up for something a little nicer. PetsMart here has had FNs on sale so they might have other cages on sale too. Even an extra large rabbit cage might work for the time being if it had a solid bottom not made of plastic. I think your best bet though is to get a cage you're going to be happy with for a long time. If you go cheap you might end up with a cage you can't stand. What if one of your chins gets ill down the road and you have to separate them? Best to pay a bit more and get something you like. Maybe something that can fold down for storage?

What's the bar spacing on that like? It might be workable temporarily however if the spacing is large then a young chinchilla or even an adult chinchilla will be able to escape. For $60 I think it'd be worth saving up for something a little nicer. PetsMart here has had FNs on sale so they might have other cages on sale too. Even an extra large rabbit cage might work for the time being if it had a solid bottom not made of plastic. I think your best bet though is to get a cage you're going to be happy with for a long time. If you go cheap you might end up with a cage you can't stand. What if one of your chins gets ill down the road and you have to separate them? Best to pay a bit more and get something you like. Maybe something that can fold down for storage?

I was going to inquire to the seller about the spacing, but you're right, $60 is a lot for a cage I may not even like. A collapsible one is a great idea, never thought of it! It would be perfect (limited storage room around here). I will see what I can find out. Thanks all!

I thought of an idea... I'm not positive it would work. You have a double level FN right? What about taking the top level off of the bottom and putting your current chinchillas in a freshly cleaned bottom level? Then the top level could be placed in a different room for quarantine? I think since you have the double level it might work... And if the bottom grate isn't sturdy enough you could probably attach a piece of wood or something on the bottom of the top level? This would mean you wouldn't need a new cage at all. Then when quarantine is over you could just reassemble your FN.

The cage posted doesn't seem bad but I still question how happy you'll be with a dog crate. It may be a pain to clean/setup. Have you looked at petstores locally? One of them might have a deal. Also you could always ask the petstores about used cages. I'm not sure but it's possible they downsize cages and sell used ones every so often.

I have one of those wire dog crates here. I personally watched 2 8 month old chinchillas escape from it in just seconds. The spacing on the bottom is way to big for chinchillas.

Nother question--Wire Spacing.

I'm still confused about this. When I got my chins last year, they were about 4 months old, and I purchased the Ferret Nation because it was highly recommended.

Having said that, it's looking like the next chin I get will be about that age, perhaps younger. For a quarantine cage, what is the appropriate spacing between bars---is it no more than an inch, no less? What spacing can they get their feet (at such a young age) caught on?

Sorry to keep asking, but I've searched the supplies forum and I don't see anything that truly answers my question.

Thanks!! :)

I'd say most wire dog crates have wire spacings that chins can get through. But you could just put hardware cloth on it. Otherwise personally I think that would be fine for a quarantine cage. You could always line the pan with fleece if you were worried about your chin chewing the plastic.

I think you would probably just be better off with a pet store cage though. You can modify it so that it doesn't have any plastic for the chin to chew.

I'd say a 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire bottomed cage is safest for all chins. And yes, no more than 1 inch bar spacing for chinchillas. For younger chins around weaning age and up to about 3 months (depending on the size of the chin) may sill be able to squeeze through 1 inch bar spacing, so in that case you would want 1/2 inch spacing. Does that help you any?

Last edited:
I'd say most wire dog crates have wire spacings that chins can get through. But you could just put hardware cloth on it. Otherwise personally I think that would be fine for a quarantine cage. You could always line the pan with fleece if you were worried about your chin chewing the plastic.

I think you would probably just be better off with a pet store cage though. You can modify it so that it doesn't have any plastic for the chin to chew.

I'd say a 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire bottomed cage is safest for all chins. And yes, no more than 1 inch bar spacing for chinchillas. For younger chins around weaning age and up to about 3 months (depending on the size of the chin) may sill be able to squeeze through 1 inch bar spacing, so in that case you would want 1/2 inch spacing. Does that help you any?

That does, thank you! But I'm not sure what you mean by hardware cloth? Luckily the dog cages I have looked at have had metal linings, which is a plus if I went that route.

hardware cloth is a wire mesh you can get at most hardware stores. if i recall correctly, the spacing on hardware cloth is 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. it comes in a roll, and you need wire cutters to cut it to size to fit your cage, putting it on the inside of the cage bars so that the chin can't get between the cage bars and the hardware cloth (if it was wrapped around the outside of the cage). use wire to attach it to the cage bars.

Back