pyometra....again???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Newt

I just got one heck of a shock. Jasmine was paying excessive attention to cleaning her private parts during play out time, so when it was time to go back to the cage, I checked her over.

She's got a white thickish discharge coming from her genitals (similar consistency to hand lotion). No smell, but more of the stuff comes out if I press very gently around the region of her uterus.

This is exactly what happened nearly two years ago with my grey girl Poppy. She was diagnosed with pyometra and had an emergency spay. It was a terrible time, but Poppy made it through okay.

What is different is that there is less discharge in Jasmine's case, as compared to what I observed with Poppy. Right now Jasmine seems fine....eating, pooping normally, playing normally.....but then Poppy never acted any differently either.

It's 12.50am here in NZ right now, and I'll be taking Jasmine to the only exotic vet in Auckland at 8am when they open. I know I need to ask for a slide smear to check for the presence of white blood cells, and also that I need a gram stain....is there anything else that anyone can suggest???

I have to wonder...am I doing something wrong with my girls?? Am I not taking enough care?? I clean the cages once a week....is that not enough? How can this happen to two of my precious girls?? :cry3:
And does anyone know how this infection gets started? Humidity is high in Auckland so they get dust baths most nights....could dust get inside her and cause this??

Finally, assuming this is pyometra (and I'm fairly certain it is), how would I know if a course of antibiotics was working? I'd obviously like to avoid a spay, but in Poppy's case, after two and a half weeks of baytril, then trisul (pink stuff) the discharge was still appearing.
But what if the infection becomes closed, so the discharge was kept inside? How could I tell the difference before it was too late?
Any input is truly appreciated

How old is she? Maybe she is just in heat? I know the first few times the discharge can be quite a bit. If she is open down there then it may just be that. I am no expert at all means. Just throwing something out there.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's just the bad luck of the draw. Some people never experience pyometra with their chins and others have had multiple cases. I doubt the dust baths would cause it, but it's hard to say. Chins are just weird creatures. I do find it surprising though that two females, both nonbreeders would develop it.

The reason you may be seeing less discharge is it may not be as advanced an infection yet or she may be partially closed. If that's the case, thankfully it wasn't all the way closed and you were able to see it!

I've talked to a couple different vets about pyometra, just to get different views on it, and pretty much all of them recommend Baytril. They felt you needed to bring out the big guns for this type of infection (as well as pneumonia and UTIs). I have only heard of a couple cases of pyometra that were cleared completely with antibiotics and no residual effects. Most people end up doing a spay to be sure all the infection was gone.

If you press on her belly and discharge comes out then it is not a normal heat cycle.

Get her to the vet in the morning, sounds like you've got it all figured out.

well the only exotics vet in Auckland with chin experience was not working today. So instead we took Jasmine to the vet which treats our cat and our guinea pigs. They dont have chin experience, but we got Poppy's pyometra-related records faxed through, so the vet at least knew the medicine and correct dosage.
Jasmine's been prescribed Trisul (pink stuff), 0.35ml twice daily, which we are told will keep the infection at bay until the exotic vet is back at work....that will be on monday morning (its saturday night right now in NZ), so we've got an appointment for 8.30am.
If there are any changes, such as lethargy or loss of appetite then we have an emergency vet nearby. Believe me, I'll be watching Jasmine very closely.

There was more discharge this morning at the vets, and again when I pressed very gently on her lower tummy then more came out. The vet took a decent swab of it for culturing, and when we get to the exotics vet on monday we'll get the gram stain done too, just in case. So far Jasmine is still acting normally, though she is pretty annoyed about all the handling! (she's quite a skittish little thing).

Tunes: I'll talk to the exotics vet about baytril on monday. With regards to breeding, I rescued Jasmine just over a year ago, and I have no idea if she was ever bred. Her last owner told me there was no chance that she was pregnant, but other than that was not very forthcoming with information. She was 2 and half when I got her, so I suppose it is possible that she could have been bred at some stage.

My partner and I have been organising how to handle things if a spay is necessary. I've just signed a new contract and have a new project at work so I really cant take any time off. My partner can work from home three days a week if necessary, and I'll probably be able to swap thursdays and fridays for saturdays and sundays.
Having gone through this with Poppy, I know the road ahead will be hard, but I'm sure we'll manage to get through it. When Poppy was sick I wasnt working, so I was able to be there for her 24/7. It will be difficult not being able to do the same for Jasmine, but my partner is very capable so I know she'll be in good hands.

Thanks for the support and info, it is really appreciated.

Oh my...I'm sorry to hear that.. My baby died on the third this month from a closed pyometra. It was open the day I found the symptoms and then the next day it became closed. Good luck to you and your baby.

Amanda, I know you know what you're doing as you've gone through this before. I just want to send my good thoughts to you and Jasmine! Please keep me posted.

More discharge this morning, though less of it thankfully.
Unfortunately Jasmine HATES taking her medicine, and this morning turned my left hand into something resembling a pin cushion. She's never bit through the skin before :(
Guess I'm gonna have to learn the burrito trick really quickly. Thing is though, if we have to spay her, surely doing a burrito will really cause her pain?? Any other thoughts on how I can manage to give meds...and forcefeed if that becomes necessary??

She's still eating and pooping normally so far thank goodness....

oh and I just wanted to add that Im sorry to hear of your loss Crazy. Thanks so much for the well wishes

The discharge is actually good because it means it is coming out. The lucky thing is that she is in heat and the infection isn't sealed off.

Keep her on the meds for as long as the vet says and because she is still eating and drinking she has a very good chance for a full recovery. :)

There seems to have been a new development. During playtime Jasmine was lifting her rear off the ground and making little grunty-upset noises....then cleaning herself down there for quite a while. Ordinarily I'd assume constipation, but she's been having no apparent trouble pooping and no change in poop size either. This makes me wonder if maybe she's trying to squeeze out the pus (sorry gross I know) to get rid of it? I'm worried the odd noises might mean pain...?

Pyometra is a raging infection that can spread throughout the entire body. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if she's suffering a great deal of pain. I would probably keep play time curtailed until after you see the vet on Monday. The added exercise may be making her feel worse.

Guess I'm gonna have to learn the burrito trick really quickly. Thing is though, if we have to spay her, surely doing a burrito will really cause her pain?? Any other thoughts on how I can manage to give meds...and forcefeed if that becomes necessary?
I've burritoed and forcefed chins with big injuries. It's really no different than burritoing a non-injured chin. Chauncy had a 3" abdominal incision and Sophie had an amputated leg. You just have to be careful not to put pressure on the incision areas with your hand while holding a squirming beast. Hopefully, Jasmine will get used to the handling and won't need the burrito for too long. I've found that most chins calm down within a week and just need the cloth as a security blanket of sorts, and it doesn't need to be so tight. Then you get to the point that you can do away with the cloth all together.

taking the meds

We found great sucess with diluting the meds a tiny bit with a weak chamomile tea brew- 1 bag to 2 cups water brewed for 2 minutes. The dose of antibiotic was .4 ml, so I filled the .4, and them drew the syringe up to .5 with the tea. He seemed to take it easier and then we got to where we did not need the tea. He fought for teh first 3 days. He fought so hard I was crying during meds time. Check out my last thread on when is it enough- you will see how incredibly hard it is not to give him his meds- just scroll down to the picture, lol
It will get better- although we have not gotten there with the CC, lol.

So we went to the exotics vet. The gram stain was positive for cocci bacteria....the little purple spheres on the pic. The larger pink blobs that look like burst balls are probably cellular debris: like dead neutrophils/monocyte WBCs.
The vet thinks the bacteria are most likely Staph (we're expecting the culture results tomorrow afternoon), and has changed Jasmine onto vibravet antibiotic (doxycycline), 0.02ml (20ul) twice a day, as he thinks its better for Staph infections than trisul.

We've decided a spay is probably the best course of action, and it has been arranged for thursday morning (its monday evening here).

Jasmine is doing really well...still eating and pooping normally. If I notice any changes with her she'll be rushed back to the vets immediately. We know it's going to be a difficult time after the surgery, but my partner and I have managed to arrange a schedule so that we can work in turns and take care of Jasmine in alternate shifts. She'll have one of us on hand (or paw) at all times, just in case.
please keep my wee girl in your thoughts!!

Attachments

• Jasmine.jpg
    Jasmine.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 21
On the up side, you won't have to go through this again? I know, not much of a consolation prize, but trying to think if something positive.

I will definitely send Jasmine good thoughts. Please let us know how the surgery goes.

Latest posts

Back