Pumpkin got into plastic !!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worldofnight

Pumpkin and Leon's Mom
My 6 month old chin pumpkin ate a fist sized hole in her hay bag that fell toward her cage 2 days ago I called her vet and they couldn't get me an appointment til Saturday but I took it and was pretty calm because she's was eating and drinking and pooping normal but then yesterday she pooped a huge wet poop ,and now she is pooping but hey are all small and thin , and now she not eating as much hay and she won't even accept healthy treats that she used to love .... What should I do should I skip my normal vet and take her to emergency or will she be ok til tommarrow ,I just wanna do what's best for her.

That's a tough one! If she won't accept treats, that's a huge red flag. If it were me, I'd call the vet and insist on seeing a vet or at least that someone xray her to see if she's got a blockage going.

She really should see a vet if she isn't eating. I guess if you absolutely can't get her to a vet right away, you could give her simethicone to try to keep her from having a gas problem that would make her even more uncomfortable if she has a blockage already.

I would call the vet back and explain that she's taken a turn for the worse, and ask if it is at all possible for them to work you in. If not, I'd go to the e-vet. If she's got a blockage, the sooner you start gut motility meds and any other needed action items, the better chance you have of helping her.

Thank you all for your advice ,pumpkin was seen today by her normal vet ,it turns out that her vet sees patients in emergency situation but for double the original price . Since money is no where near as important as her life I took her ,she got X-rays and they said they see no blockage but lots of gas so they prescribed simthicone,and some gut motility drugs just to make sure the plastic moves through her properly. I'm going to be monitoring her likes hawk over the next 48 hrs to make sure all is well.

The forum is for sharing info and ideas, its not going to benefit other members if the conversation goes private. Bad advice can be given and the chin suffers because of it.

So now offering personal help is no longer acceptable? Not everyone has a smart phone or internet on their phone. It DOES help to have someone to call when you are at the vet or when you need help NOW. I've given people from the forum and from shows my number and I get calls when I'm at school or the middle of the night...or when people are not on this forum.

There are people on this forum, but we all have lives and sometimes we don't respond right away to threads or owners that need it. In those cases, it is better for those people to have a real life contact that can answer them immediately. I even know of admins and mods that have given their numbers to other members and they answer their questions over the phone, not through the forum.

There are not always people here to help.

I agree with Tabitha. Sometimes it's nice to have immediate help. Questions sometimes sit on this forum for days without answers. Sometimes they get no answers at all. I have posted threads and waited a long time for very little feedback. Also, in an emergency there may not be time to get to a computer or to wait on forum replies.

So now offering personal help is no longer acceptable? Not everyone has a smart phone or internet on their phone. It DOES help to have someone to call when you are at the vet or when you need help NOW. I've given people from the forum and from shows my number and I get calls when I'm at school or the middle of the night...or when people are not on this forum.

There are people on this forum, but we all have lives and sometimes we don't respond right away to threads or owners that need it. In those cases, it is better for those people to have a real life contact that can answer them immediately. I even know of admins and mods that have given their numbers to other members and they answer their questions over the phone, not through the forum.

There are not always people here to help.

And HOW does a member know the advice is good? NO ONE knows everythng about chins, and NO ONE is a expert and why even bother having a forum if all you need is some persons phone number with questionable advice. Rather that posting to this thread about this stupid issue your time would be better used actually HELPING someone with your limted time.

OK folks enough of the off topic debate. I'm certain Mary didn't start this thread wanting to start a debate, and I'm certain she really doesn't want to read it. This is a thread that was started to help a chinchilla, who the last update we had was still needing help. How about we concentrate on that...

Mary, how is Pumpkin doing today? Any improvement since Friday?

Posts after my gentle request to get this back on topic have been removed. This is an emergency thread, for which we have not seen that the problem has resolved. This is not the place to continue arguing whether or not private conversations are better or not. I'd suggest taking it to another thread, but I've seen this topic debated to no end in the past, you can likely find a debate thread (or 5) already for it.

If you want to continue arguing n this thread, go ahead, I will delete it and I will put the next person on permanent moderated status.

Thanks Kalandra for asking how Pumpkins been ,shes doing really well actually. She finally passed all plastic and is finally back to eating normally . I took her back to the vet about a week after the first visit because even after taking motility drugs 3 times a day for 5 days she still wasn't eating and drinking like normal but the doctor checked her out and said she was fine so I took her home and hoped for the best and she did eventually get back to the swing of eating hay like a normal chinnie. I have also since moved her hay out of the plastic bag and into a large plastic bin in the hopes that even if it would get close to her cage it would be immpossible for her to each nearly as much plastic as she did out of that stupid bag,but the bin stays far away from the cage so I think this incident has taught me to be much more careful . Thanks agian everyone for your concern and help in this difficult time .

Mary, it is so good to hear she is doing well. It sounds like the ordeal was indeed quite difficult and a scary one.

I am glad to hear your baby is doing better! That had to be very scary for you and her both. I've had my girls, and Raisin before them, try to get ahold of things they shouldn't. Chinchillas are definitely crafty! Give your chinnie lots of scritches from us.

Thanks guys it was very stressful and upsetting mostly because it was my own fault but Im am very happy to have a healthy happy chinnie again.

Glad things worked out for you and Pumpkin. Good warning to all about the bag. Little things that could easily be overlooked sometimes have the potential to cause disaster. Good lesson.

Back