"Pruning"?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monarch

The Chinchilla Maid...
New owner of approximately three weeks or so - my chin has started (or I have begun noticing) the behavior of what I can only describe as "pruning" or "grooming" in a sense. He seems to bury his nose in the middle of his chest and move it around. His fur blocks me from seeing completely what he's doing but it looks like he could be trying to clean himself in a way? He sticks his head way down between his two front paws and seems to nibble or ... something. I'm not quite sure.

I read on here about the behavior of 'hair chewing'. Is this what it sounds like? Does hair get removed? I haven't noticed any bald patches.

I do give him a dust bath regularly but it is admittedly of the Kaytee brand. Could he possibly be exhibiting the behavior indicative of dry skin?

Would it be better if I uploaded a video? I'm watching him now and he's doing it. He comes up with a face full of pine bedding :wacko:

I hope he's not stressed or anything...

He's just cleaning himself. Chinchillas groom themselves whenever they feel they need it. He's not fur chewing and dry skin usually causes them to scratch or you would notice flaky skin.

Thank you for helping calm my fears! Could you describe what fur chewing looks like? Would he actually pull out hair?

Last edited:
Uneven, barbered fur, like someone took scissors and just whacked it off in a bunch of different lengths. Sometimes it's even down to bare skin, but usually it's just bad barbering.

Thanks guys! I was worrying that there was issue perhaps with the bedding that was bothering him, or that he was exhibiting signs of stress. I just installed a new shelf that my boyfriend made out of wood (clean pine) to add an extra layer, but ever since it's been in the cage he refuses to move from the bottom level, out of seemingly traumatized fear of this new 'intruder'. He's been in this same bland cage for over three years and I can only assume he has to get used to this new object before he can go explore it. So far it hasn't gone well :( The only time he'll go take a look at it is when I bring him back in the cage after a couple hours of play time, when his curiosity is in go-mode.

So turns out the behavior I was remarking WAS hair chewing... I've noticed patches of his fure getting more and more uneven, and it's quite apparent now. He doesn't seem to be hurting himself at least. I just purchased a Chin Spin in the hopes of helping his anxiety. Is there anything else I can do for him?

Just throwing this out there since I just looked at the pictures, Penelope's neck kina looks like the second picture I always thought that she just had thin hair right there because I couldn't think that they could reach all around their neck like that, her and Rex haven't been together for sometime now. Could it be that she's chewing fur?

Back