Prowler at 10 weeks.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreya

Prowler is 10 weeks and a total hellion, so I will apologize ahead of time for the less than stellar pics. Unless I am holding her she does NOT sit still for more than a couple seconds at a time. I probably got about 25 blurry pictures of my table/wall/clock while she was trying to launch herself off the side. She didn't, of course, because I'm good at catching her. She's also developed this little triangle on her forehead.

I may as well admit it now, Prowler came from a backyard breeder. And I know better but I HAD to have her and now I'm trying to calm her down, as she was let to run wild almost every day before I brought her home. She eats well (she eats, for lack of a better term, like a horse), drinks well, her poops are all perfect and she's okay when I'm holding her, I just can't let her down or she acts like she's on speed. I did get to see her every week from the time she was born and tried to re-educate said "breeder" as much as possible during that time, so she has been on a good diet (Oxbow) since she was two weeks old (not so much before that) and she is (as far as I can tell) perfectly healthy. She's been gaining weight steadily, her coat is good and she is developing well. I do know that her parents had pedigrees and came from the same place as most of my chins, so they weren't pet store chins and my Kallel is actually her grandpa.

So here are updated pictures of my new monster:

prowler001.jpg

prowler002.jpg

prowler003.jpg

P.S. The cotton hammocks she is standing on are not hers, they are my ferret's. =)

Not sure the backyard breeder part has a lot to do with being a hellion, lol. My girls are both hellions and they came from a great breeder. I haven't even tried getting pictures of them out of the cage because when I have them out it takes all my concentration to keep them from getting loose! They are wiggly little girls and are super fast. My girls are probably only a little older than Prowler. I think it's the age.... crazy babies. Even if I take pictures of them in the cage they're attempting escape (if the door is open) and/or trying to eat the camera. Like your Prowler they eat like horses. Even with the huge haybox I have I am constantly added hay to their cage. Don't feel bad about giving in and getting her. That girl is gorgeous... I have the strange urge to snatch her up myself. Congrats on the new baby.

Thanks Sooki & tc! =)

Lilly: True, she easily could have been a hellion anyways. :) Though I think the only time she was handled was when I would visit and hold her. The woman would open the door to the chin cage and let all of the chins (babies included) run around the room for hours, often from what I can tell, unsupervised. So Prowler was used to being out of the cage most of the day and doing whatever she wanted. It was a subject that the woman wouldn't budge on because -she- didn't see an issue with it. I was so happy to finally get her home. I was also a little spoiled with Ari because when he was a baby he was much calmer and much more used to being handled since I held him a lot. Though Prowler has already calmed down a lot, as the first night I had her I could hardly keep ahold of her.

Don't get me wrong, she's very sweet. I got her to stop biting before I brought her home (she had liked to bite) and she lets me pet her head any time I go into the cage. She's just a demon if I try to let her out. I'm glad that my girl isn't the only one who is crazy. Your girls are adorable too. =) And the best part, she gets along fabulously with Moya. She treats Moya like her "mom" and it's sooo cute. =) My girl is a huge hay eater as well. The girls cage is the only one where some times they won't have much more than a single straw left by the next night (I feed them at night) and my boys always have quite a bit left.

Yeah.. that second pic to me says "Can I jump down from here? Hmmm..."

Andreya if you watch the latest video I posted on the girls thread you'll see what I mean. They try to climb right out on their own. They're still a bit hard to hold... try to escape and run off, and I know they were handled regularly. They're just rather escape and find something to destroy. The girls also love to try to eat my sweater sleeves, buttons, shirt front, etc.

Yeah.. that second pic to me says "Can I jump down from here? Hmmm..."

Andreya if you watch the latest video I posted on the girls thread you'll see what I mean. They try to climb right out on their own. They're still a bit hard to hold... try to escape and run off, and I know they were handled regularly. They're just rather escape and find something to destroy. The girls also love to try to eat my sweater sleeves, buttons, shirt front, etc.

lol yeah, I can always tell when Vincenza recovered from being picked up. She starts to try and eat my clothes.

Lilly - Honestly. Your girls look tame compared to Prowler. *grin* I love all the new pics; I hadn't realized that you added more. They are so freaking cute. I've been around tons of chins and the only one I've seen that was wilder was Prowler's brother, who wasn't handled at all. She couldn't sell him so she's keeping him. The second picture was her pouting after I pushed her away from the edge and about 10 seconds before she went for it again. lol

You saw the videos? Maybe they are tame. My little guy before was essentially full grown and they are babies. Baby chins are so much crazier. They bounce from cage wall to cage wall like insane little things.

Lilly - Yep, I saw them. I laughed. They are adorable and normal bouncy babies. I wish I knew how to better describe Prowler. Speed yours up and add some crack and reckless abandon and that is Prowler when she doesn't want to be somewhere. One minute she's sitting in my hand letting me (begrudgingly) kiss her face and the next she's trying to pop out of my hands into the air with no real goal for landing. I haven't dropped her yet. The one time she was out in the chin room it took me FOREVER to catch her and I'm good at catching chins. She can run and jump and flatten herself behind something in almost one movement. I typically don't let her down because I'm trying to get her used to being held, without the marathon. =)

:swoon: She is one of THE cutest chins I have ever seen----her coloring, the triangle, her expressions. Just adorable. :D Yay for you! Prowler sounds like a pretty perfect name for her.

Wow! She is beautiful and definitely a must-have! I think if she is a hellion then she must be a lot of fun! Babies are supposed to be mischievous and curious, and down right terrors. lol. Have fun with her!

Thanks! I'm happy with my girl. I may also be biased but she is one of the cutest babies that I have ever seen as well. I finally got my violet. =)

Yeah... the girls have both escaped... Trixie has escaped twice. She's a demon when it comes to catching her. Pixie just kind of freaked and "rocked" up and I was able to just scoop her up. The last time Trixie got out she hated me for a good bit after. I ended up offering her an small flower blossom from their supplement and she perked back up. I'd tried hay and chew sticks before that and she just stayed in a little squished up ball looking traumatized. I felt horrible. I haven't let the girls run around at all really as people have told me to wait until they're 6 months. I don't know how anyone waits that long. I'm dying to see them hop about together in a chin safe location. However, I've been handling both of them about once a day or more. To get them use to being held, the noise of the house, and so I can weigh them and/or clean their cage. Typically I try to do my spot clean with them in the cage... but it's working less well as time goes on. I'm considering opening up the bottom level just for cage cleaning time... I think it'd be less difficult to get them into than a carrier.

I'd better keep the girls away from the PC... who knows they might start Private Messaging Prowler for tips on being hellions. Obviously she's an expert.

Yeah, I can't say I exactly agree with that myself, but I'm not debating it. =) I simply don't let her free range (the chin room) more right now for "taming" purposes. I can tell you that she hasn't had any issues "growing", she's quite plump. lol

The FN's are hard to clean with them in it. I had that problem when I owned one and had adults, they were always popping out. I have Martin's now and although sometimes one will weasel their way out the bottom door, they don't seem to feel the need to spill over the edge like they did in the FN.

haha - very funny. Prowler's too busy for nerdy chat, don't worry. =)

Back