Progress!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rimbaum

So, Freya is comfortable enough with me around her cage and sticking my hand in that she will hop up on my hands. Today, I tried something a little risky, but well worth the results!

I opened up her cage door, let her come up and into my hands, then scooped her up from the bottom (holding her close to my chest) to take her to the bathroom for playtime. Normally, I try to usher her into a little cardboard box and put a cover on it so she won't get away.

She enjoyed playtime, and when it was time to go back (although not in her opinion, the silly little rodent! :p), I managed to eventually scoop her back up. Freya did get a little frantic for a second, but once I readjusted my hold on her, made some shushing noises, and gave her some head pats, she calmed right down. And when I put her back in her cage? She came right back up to the door with a look that said "Hey! I wasn't done playing!"

All told, this was major progress for me! Freya's been so skittish about being handled, but she didn't slip any fur or try to seriously get away like she did the first time I held her. I'm sort of giddy :D

Yay, good news!! I know, whenever I handle Chloe for longer than a millisecond I get covered in slipped fur but I notice it's much easier to hold her or bring her somewhere when she is already on my body to begin with.

Back