Product Reviews!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenxx810

- Three cheers for FuzziesKingdom Herbal Supplements! I bought Ollie the stress and anxiety remedy product and its wonderful! He loves it and I have definitely noticed a positive change in his behavior; much less skittish and welcoming to head scratches now!

- Boooo Kaytee "chewproof" glass water bottles! I bought the larger of the two glass bottles because I wanted to upgrade from the crummy plastic one Oliie's previous owners gave me. It's an $11 bottle and it doesn't work! I refilled it and adjusted the nozzle multiple times but it stops working after a few drops. I returned it and got my money back! But of course last night the naughty little boy Oliver chewed a hole in the plastic one. So i ran to petsmart and the only non plastic one they had were the darn Kaytee glass one's, I picked the small one this time and hoped for the best. IT STILL WOULD NOT WORK. I know I was thinking operator malfunction, but there aren't very many ways to screw up filling a water bottle! I kept tinkering with it and eventually I decided that even if I did get it working I wouldn't be able to trust it while I wasn't home. In my last efforts to get my baby a working water bottle I tried the nozzle that belonged to the plastic bottle and it fit and it works perfectly! Moral of the story: tread cautiously with these bottles.

I've had similar results with the Kaytee glass water bottles - the spouts just don't dispense water reliably... just a few drops, then nothing, if they dispense any at all. I think it has to do with the design, water bubbles just don't exit on the inside of the bottle to let more water in. Petsmart does have another glass water bottle in the bird section (only in the 8oz size, and the packaging is currently purple, not yellow) that is very similar (if not identical to) the Lixit glass bottles, and it seems to work much better... I've not had any real big problems with the four I have, and 8oz hasn't been a problem - since you should be cleaning/refilling them every day anyways.

That said, I would ALWAYS advise having more than one water source for any small animal - since that water bottle is their only means of hydration, you don't want to be in a position where your pet can't get any water, and a bottle spout can fail for any number of reasons - from the mysterious ones that they kaytee bottles suffer from, or something as simple as a tiny bit of hay that can stop the balls from being able to move in the tube.. it's always good to have a backup :)

Back