Probability of mating after delivery?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic_FROST

Really long story, short-

An adopter allowed a female she got from us to live with another unaltered male chin. Thats against our adoptipn contract on all different levels so I demanded the chin back. When picking up the female from her, I noticed partially cannabalized babies already in the cage. No idea how long they were there or who ate them. Male and female were still together when I rescinded the female.

Can anyone tell me the probablility of a pregnancy? Black velvet female, unknown age, no health problems, weighs about 850gms.

There's no way to know. Some females breedback easily, others do not. Just start counting down for roughly 105 days or so (generally it's 111 days) and be prepared with a baby safe cage.

I'm sorry this happened. People can be so ignorant.

The really awful thing....

Is the male was another black velvet.

I feel awful for saying this but I think I will ask the vet if an abort spay is do-able.

why can't you breed a black velvet to a black velvet? I don't want to breed but I'm curious. they are both mutations right?

Black velvet mated to black velvet has a lethal factor. However there is no reason to spay the female. It is not needed and dangerous. The only effect the lethal factor has is fewer kits being born. There is no danger to the female chin.

In chinchilla, only dominant white and dominant black velvet (or TOV) chinchillas have a lethal factor associated with their genotypes or genetic makeup. These lethals only occur in the homozygous state, so there are no homozygous whites or velvets. All whites and velvets are then heterozygous for those genes. They are unaffected by the lethal because the affected genes are paired with normal genes that act as backups for those functions that the affected genes cannot perform. Keep in mind that the white and velvet lethals are two different kinds of lethals and perform separately from each other. If you breed a white chinchilla to a velvet chinchilla, there is no lethal. It is when we breed two whites or two velvets that two of the same genes may combine in the offspring and cause the lethal. There is a 25% chance of a lethal pairing in both whites and blacks and conscientious breeders do not mate these pairs for this reason.

In humans an example of a lethal would be cystic fibrosis. there are lethals for virtually every species.

Agreed, no reason to spay the female. Lethal factor will not affect her health at all. Any kits that are born should be healthy as well, if they aren't healthy it's not due to the lethal factor.

are we talking lethal as in fatal? or is it a chemical?

so if i understand correctly, breeding a white to a white or a velvet to a velvet will just have fewer kits??? please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm just a little confused:wacko:

There are plenty of breeders who breed TOV to TOV to improve their odds of having more TOV offspring as well as darker veiling. Nothing happens to mom - it just may result in fewer kits. White to white would be pointless because typically whites have weaker fur, so putting two together would just result in crappy offspring.

I will step up and be third to say don't do surgery. It's not worth the risk to mom.

ok, so just not very good kits. thanks for the explanation!!

oh and i hope the mom is gonna be alright!

Only in whites does it have to do with quality of the kits. The lethal factor still exists, which means less kits born. I was just pointing out that people do breed lethal factor animals together with successful offspring, but with whites, what's the point?

We did bring her into the vet, and he also thinks nature should be allowed to take its course.

So I guess its time to start getting prepared for babies, just in case. Sigh.

On an off note, this little chunker was over 900 grams yesterday!

I bought a black velvet from Somavia and was surprised to see that his parents were both black velvets. He is a super nice quality and healthy.

Not uncommon for Somavia to do that, I had a P/W whose parents were both P/W from him.

Last edited:
Back