Prickly Pears...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
It's still a few weeks off that we can start harvesting the pears...I just wanted to post some pictures of the three types that I have here at home. Yeah, I don't know what they are called...LOL

One is a pink color, one is a magenta and the last is nearly black when it is ripe. I can make jelly and jam and syrup...but also dye for chin toys and a few other things...like slicing them up and putting them on salad.

There are other colors and shades to the fruit...but we only have three here on the property. :)

Attachments

• P1020194.JPG
    P1020194.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 87
  • P1020195.jpg
    P1020195.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 85
  • P1020196.jpg
    P1020196.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 94
I'm so jealous. Those are one of my favorite fruits, but we don't get many up here in Canuckland. :(

I love tuna, what prickly pear fruit is called in Mexico. I prefer the green or orange varieties.

Meanie, do you have a little of spanish in you? :hmm: I've seen prickly pears but never thought of eating them.

the jelly sounds delicious! I miss seeing these! We used to take a drive out in the Texas hill country so I could see the prickly pear cacti!!!

Meanie, do you have a little of spanish in you? :hmm: I've seen prickly pears but never thought of eating them.
Only through osmosis. ;) I used to work for a company that was 80% Hispanic for almost 9 years and they were constantly trying to edumacate me on all things Mexican. I even became the official chilaquilles maker. The woman that used to make it for special occasions, shared her secrets with me before she left. :thumbsup:

Costco had/has the BEST jam ever, it's E.D. Smith Blueberry, Cherry Prickly Pear. If you shop at Costco I highly recommend trying some. I first had it when they were doing taste tests.

Please do not joke with me, that would be cruel, lol!

I even became the official chilaquilles maker. The woman that used to make it for special occasions, shared her secrets with me before she left.

This is the only reason I do the breakfast buffet every day when I visit Mexico :D!

What do you think the ratio of the cactus pear to the blueberries and cherries is in that jam? I can try to make some...I want to freeze some of the cherries and blueberries that I have now so that I can make some in a few weeks when the prickly pears are fully ripe and ready.

What do you think the ratio of the cactus pear to the blueberries and cherries is in that jam? I can try to make some...I want to freeze some of the cherries and blueberries that I have now so that I can make some in a few weeks when the prickly pears are fully ripe and ready.
I don't honestly know. In the ingredient list they are listed as fruit (blueberries, cherries, prickly pear), so you have to assume they are in that order from most to least. There are chunks of blueberry and cherry in the jam.

I'll see what I can find... :) I love trying out new jams. I'll try to maybe make it equal parts of all fruits and start from there. The cherries I have now are very sweet and I wonder if that would be a problem for that jam...I'll add lemon juice if it needs a little bit of sourness to be added. ;)

Back