Possible or Impossible?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

As most of you know I have one neutered male chinchilla and one female. My friend is giving away her baby chinchilla (It is ready to leave its mom) And it is a male. I would get him neutered. But If I did take the baby, and got him neutered, is it possible for me to keep the 2 males and female together? I know that you can't keep males together but how about neutered ones? Or is it the same thing?

It's the same thing. Neutered male still have the urge to mate and will fight over the female.

You can keep male chinchillas together Misty--several forum members have males that are cagemates, but you can only keep males and males together or a male and female together, as both Kristy and Tabitha said two males with one female will not be good for any of them.

I am going to say I don't know, and I don't think there is proof of it not working. If so I'd like to know of someone who did.

I do know the Lynn & the chins has two neutered males, they fought before the neutering, then didn't after. I don't think that a male neutered early enough would have the desire to mate or be territorial any more than a dog neutered young would want to. In fact some dogs that are retired breeders can be neutered and not have the desire to breed anymore either.

I will say that even with the neutering, just as chins there is a chance they will not get along, the same as if it was a female, or all males, or all females, or all purple and pink belly dotters that are neutered... In the words of Winnie the Pooh... " You never can tell about chins can you Christopher Robin?" Okay.. he was talking about bees but it's still relevant.

Thank you everyone I still might take him and keep him in a separate cage because he is so cute!

I was just curious, the baby is white with almost like very fade beige spots on his back? what color would that be classified as?

Back