Possible new hedgehog (already own one)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

courtneyy11

Hello! So I have had Tucker for almost a year and he is amazing. We have a certain routine we follow every night and he's not huge on change. I usually cuddle with him for 1.5-2 hours when I wake him up (his choice of time lol). Today the breeder called and said he had a hedgehog baby that was blind and didn't want to sell it. He new I would provide a good home so asked if I wanted him. I would love to have another one but am worried of Tucker's reaction. My mom would help me out with the new one but she is still nervous with Tucker so I'm not sure how much help I would get. I have such a close bond with Tucker that I'm also afraid that it will limit the amount of time I can spend with the new guy. I just wanted to know if it was a bad idea to get this other hedgehog or not. I know it's not my concern but I worry about him finding a good home if the breeder does sell him. If anyone has tips on how to handle multiple hedgehogs I would appreciate that as well as any advice on the situation!
Thank you!

I usually take both my hedgies out at the same time, each in their own separate blankets. I take turns with them on who sits on my lap while the other sits next to me. It's like a family thing with me & my 2 girls (and a short tailed opossum too!). I pet both at the same time, or pet/hold one the switch off to pet/hold the other. Both on the couch with me or wherever I may be at the time. They are both girls so they can be together as well if they wish, and sometimes they do crawl up next to each other to nap, most times they are separate in their own little blankies.

I had two for a time... had similar worries as you. Unlike tacotac, one was a boy and one was a girl, so they didn't have the same snuggle time. Miss Satin preferred a more interactive one, then settled down into sleepy snuggles. Mr. Texie just wanted to be with me... held no matter what. So I found I'd catch up on email, the goings on at CnH, etc... and just have him with.

I'm sure you'll find something that works that doesn't steal time away from Tucker in a way that's detrimental to his well-being. Who knows, maybe new hedgie is a "morning person" and has no interest in doing much of anything with you during Tucker's time...

Either way, if the only concern is figuring out a good snuggle time for both and you know you have about 1.5hours an evening to work with, I think Tucker and newhedgie will be a-okay.

Back