Poplar?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

My brother has access to all kinds of wood because of where he works.

I know pine must be kiln dried... Are there any specifications with poplar? He does have kiln dried poplar available.

I will double check that everything is chemical free, but I wanted to make sure I knew what to ask him. :]

Okay thank you! :D He has an unlimited supply and can bring it home whenever he likes. They do not use KD pine, so I knew that wasn't an option. I never touched poplar so I wasn't sure what the requirements were.

I'll double check that there were not any chemicals used on it, then hopefully I'll be able to have some. :)

I bet your chinnies will love it! My Dad used to find and cut poplar branches for my bunny (miss them both), and he'd just set them on the porch to dry out in the sun for at least a week or so before bringing them to her. She had a grand time stripping the bark absolutely clean!

Last edited:
So my brother is not entirely sure if there has been any chemicals used in it.

He works for a company that makes stairs, wood furnishings, etc....

Since these things are in a home where they will be in contact with other animals and such, do you think they would be okay? I know nothing about these companies so Id love some I put. I wouldn't know why any chemicals would be used.

Obviously I won't use it if it's not safe but if you have any info, I would help. :]

Typically it is obvious that wood has been treated. It is either some unnatural red, yellow, or green color and typically it is marked treated...sometimes it even has mechanical cuts in it to let the chemicals penetrate further. Poplar is used as a less expensive alternative to many hardwoods and it is true, can be found in many housing materials, rarely have I seen it treated as it doesn't typically make a good exterior wood.

That being said, I don't think anyone on here can say for sure if the poplar you want to use is safe. Poplar wood is safe, but you have to be the final word on whether or not it will be safe for your chins.

I'll take a look and see what it looks like.

I wouldn't see why it would be treated and my brother doesn't think it is. Hopefully it's safe!

Back