Poo problems?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rimbaum

I've noticed that Freya's poops, over the last day or two, seem to have a slimy feel to them. They also look a little fatter compared to her normal poops, if that makes any difference.

I did just move her cage after cleaning out some space, and I recall reading that some chins get diarrhea after their cage is moved. Is there anything else I should be watching out for in terms of more serious signs? A trip to the vet is doable, but just barely. I will if it looks like I should, but like any pet owner, I really hope I don't have to.

Personally, I would not do a vet visit at this point. Sometimes my girls have slimy poops for a day or so, and then they go away. I would try giving your chin half of a mini unfrosted shredded wheat, or maybe half a dropper of PET Pectillin (found at Petsmart in the dog health aisle, it's in a blue and white box).

Could you maybe take a picture of the poops? Also, before taking my advice, wait for some other more experienced people to post... I'm often a bit off the mark. :)

If it's truely slimey I would be concerned. Usually stress induced diarrhea is not slimy but rather mooshy. Does the poo have a strong smell to it? Discolored?

It doesn't feel mooshy, and it looks about the same color as her normal poops. I didn't notice any odor... and this morning, some of the poops I cleaned up looked their normal size/shape, and were perfectly hard and dry, like when I first got her.

I noticed the same problem with my chinchillas. One of them is stressed out all the time, so we try to leave her alone and she is coming around. I realized that a willow bark hut that I had purchased from PetCo made them super sick. Their poops seemed to get better after I took it out of the cage. Hopefully that's not what is making your chin sick!

Back