Poo problem

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bianca

Hey. So everything with my chin has been completely normal..but for almost 2 weeks his poo has been soft. Not very soft.. But you could squish it.it is shiny - because it is wet (not very much though. It's not runny) it has a very light odor that you can only smell if you bring it to ur nose to smell it. (sorry I know that's gross.. But I gathered as much info about it as possible)
Anyone know why this is happening or what it may be caused by?

Just under 2 weeks ago I moved his cage.. But I don't think he is stressed anymore about the new location. He has been eating/drinking/peeing/pooping/jumping/sleeping /chewing.. Etc
Any ideas or similar experiences would be appreciated!

Ps sorry about the graphic explanation haha.

Loose timothy hay, oxbow pellets, tap water (he's been on that for ever) and he rarely gets treats. Sometimes dried papaya (but lately I've stopped that bc they are high in sugars) .. So he's been getting some alfalfa hay (literally a few strands every few days)

A similar thing happened when I moved Stitch around a couple years ago.........the change gave him soft poop. I gave him 1 - 2 shredded wheat for a couple days and it went away and has never come back.

Also one of my chins has a similar experience from a eraser sized piece of papaya.

You should invest in a water filter though..........tap water isnt really recommended.

Thank you. Which shredded wheats? Just like ones I van buy from a grocery store? Do u mind posting a pic. Lol thanks

Pull his pellets for a couple days and feed him just timothy hay. I wouldn't give him any alfalfa. If that doesn't work you can try giving him some pet pectillin.

You really should filter your tap water. City water can change and he may be fine, but a change could cause a parasitic infection. Giardia can lay dormant in the system and when a change happens, it can become growing and overpopulate, causing an infection.

The shredded wheat she is talking about is just plain bite size shredded wheat, not the frosted type. Go to your grocery store and look in the cereal aisle. You should be able to find it easily.

i usually buy the store brand of unfrosted mini wheats. but here is a box of a name brand

Attachments

• mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 9
Back