Please keep fingers crossed for Sitara...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookinaround

FUZZ BUTT ENTHUSIAST
Please keep fingers crossed for Sitara... I was FINALLY able to get 2 breech kits delivered and some Critical Care into her until we can get in touch with the vet in the morning to see if she thinks an antibiotic or any other treatment is necessary. The entire ordeal lasted from 11pm - 3am. She is resting now. Unfortunately both kits were stillborn. One thing that was weird was that the placenta was delivered before the second kit. Has anyone else ever experienced that???

Placentas can detach early in mammals and the kit would end up stillborn. Also, a partial or full placenta detachment can trigger labor that in an animal i imagine would result in still birth (humans if they notice they can c-section). So sorry you lost them, I'm glad it seems like the mother is doing ok. =(

She's hanging in there and raised her head and came toward me when I just checked on her...still pretty weak... She keeps laying with her hind legs sprawled out to either side... This was the MOST awful experience yet with chins... I had to pull HARD to get them out... I am not that great with this kind of thing but I knew that I had to get them out...it was pretty bad...

Just from a human Ob/labor and delivery ex-RN you want to make sure she can actually stand/move/walk on those hind legs.A difficult delivery like that can cause nerve damage/fractured pelvis esp since the delivery was heavily assisted. Hope none of these apply here,but just be alert for it.

Yes definitely be sure her hind legs are functional - if she has a fractured pelvis it can heal and she'll be able to walk again (I've had one fracture her's in two places) but I'd really worry about nerve damage.

Good thoughts coming your way.

She delivered what looked to be a smaller 2nd placenta this morning... Does this mean she had a pregnancy in both uterine horns??? Not out of the woods but does seem a little better. She is eating some Critical Care without much coaxing so I am hopeful... Still has some hind leg issues...spoke to the vet's office and they are going to put her on Metacam...

She delivered what looked to be a smaller 2nd placenta this morning... Does this mean she had a pregnancy in both uterine horns???
No. Each kit can have it's own placenta.

I would recommend actually taking the chin to the vet for a full examination - she has been through a traumatic birth & there are multiple possible effects from that.
She may need subcut fluids due to exhaustion & if you "had to pull HARD to get them out" then there may be internal tearing or at the very least, significant bruising.
She may also need antibiotics as a precaution, especially if she has only just passed the second placenta - it will have begun decomposing as soon as it became detached from the uterine wall & there is considerable risk of infection.

How old is this chin & is this her first litter?
Do you know how long she was actually straining in labour with the breached kits for?

She turned 1 in July (I believe off the top of my head) and this is her first and LAST litter... She is eating Critical Care without much coaxing. So at least that is a good sign. I have the things to give her Sub Q fluids if necessary. The vet said if I were to bring her in what she would do is x-ray her but even then if a break in the pelvis were to be found there isn't really anything that could be done. The vet also said she didn't think an antibiotic is necessary...just the Metacam for pain...

I am unsure of when she went into labor with the first kit. I found it halfway out at 11pm last night and I was finally able to get the 2nd out around 3am. It did look like she had been trying to get it out on her own for a while...

Last edited:
Having been through a similar episode this year I would still be taking her to the vet for full, professional assessment.
The vet cannot diagnose or treat a chinchilla over the phone.

Besides, if there is a possibility of a fractured pelvis, then you need the xray in order to determine treatment.
There's a thread on the forum somewhere about treating a fractured pelvis - it was a long, drawn out affair with lots of ups & downs.

is she able to use her back legs properly yet?

Last edited:
Her back legs do seem a little better and there is some movement but she isn't using them fully yet...

Gonna go pick up the Metacam here in a few after I get my son from school...hopefully that helps to reduce the inflamation and we'll see if she can then regain full use of them...

Last edited:
Still resting...she is laying around a lot but is drinking/eating on her own in addition to some CC... Still not using her back legs fully but does look a LOT better overall... If you call her name she raises her head and looks around... Her excellent appetite makes me very hopeful... Thanks for the well wishes!!!

If all goes well after her recovery I am gonna try to pair her with another female who had 2 litters that were both stillborn...hopefully they hit it off and can live happily ever after as a spoiled pet pair...both are total sweethearts so I hope it works...

Last edited:
Still resting...she is laying around a lot but is drinking/eating on her own in addition to some CC... Still not using her back legs fully but does look a LOT better overall... If you call her name she raises her head and looks around... Her excellent appetite makes me very hopeful... Thanks for the well wishes!!!

If all goes well after her recovery I am gonna try to pair her with another female who had 2 litters that were both stillborn...hopefully they hit it off and can live happily ever after as a spoiled pet pair...both are total sweethearts so I hope it works...

I hope she comes around and her pain is just bruises (Hematomas hurt!). Keep us updated on her recovery!!

Having been through a similar episode this year I would still be taking her to the vet for full, professional assessment.
The vet cannot diagnose or treat a chinchilla over the phone.

Besides, if there is a possibility of a fractured pelvis, then you need the xray in order to determine treatment.
There's a thread on the forum somewhere about treating a fractured pelvis - it was a long, drawn out affair with lots of ups & downs.

is she able to use her back legs properly yet?

I had a chin with a double fractured pelvis - very small, fragile chin, got caught in between a cage door and a shelf when the door was shut on her :cry3: - and she was treated with metacam, gas drops and a very small cage for 6 weeks. I still have her, she's feisty as they come and gets around her Ferret Nation cage well.

Good luck.

I wanted to give it a couple of days for an update but...Sitara is FINALLY doing a good bit better! YAYYYY!!! I think she will make a full recovery in time but the poor girl went through the ringer and HAD to be seriously sore... I did end up giving her a dose of sub q fluids which helped a LOT... She is starting to put some weight on her legs but from the way she is hobbling she just needs some time to heal... Thanks for all of the good thoughts! :)

Back