Pinball has an infected tooth, looking for advice on feeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublime5981

Serenity Chinchillas
I'd become concerned recently because, she has been showing a lot of signs that something is wrong with her teeth. First she had a watery eye off and on which I didn't think too much of by itself. Then she started to have small poos. Last week she stopped eating her hay completely and seemed to have trouble eating pellets. I give Ryerson supplement as a treat and she will now only eat the powdered part.
Anyway, the vet said that one or more of her teeth are infected/rotting. Part of one actually broke off while she was examining her mouth! I insisted that she take xrays to check on her roots as the watery eye had me concerned about root elongation. Her upper teeth seem to be okay although, she did notice a spur on one of them. It is really the lower teeth that have issues. First they are very uneven and not just from the one that broke off. Then there is the infection of course.
So, end result, the vet put her on Baytril and Metacam. Sent us home with some Critical Care too (the nasty kind was all they had). She wants to try to get some weight back on her and as long as she doesn't get worse will see her again in 3-4 weeks. She did mention possibly pulling the broken tooth. What are the thoughts on that?
I ordered some Lifeline. While I wait for the LL should I go buy some other probiotic? I would assume yes. Also which do you find works better with the nasty CC, pumpkin or black strap molasses?
I should also add that her normal weight is between 600 and 650. She was 600g in Dec and is now down to 450g. Would that be reason to add anything else to her feeding routine? Maybe Dyne?

If the chin has caries and periodontal disease as you describe the immediate treatment of the antibiotics and pain relief will help for now, long term I hate to say is going to be a long road. When a chins teeth get caries there is no treatment besides removal, since they cannot get filings like humans. The periodontal disease is progressive, the pockets around the teeth will continue in the future to become infected, and will eventually fall out, some grow back, some do not. Since the teeth are continuously growing, when they do fall out the opposing teeth will overgrow, leading to the constant need to be filed every 4-6 weeks and the chance of tooth elongation. Its a vicious circle that will usually not turn out well. I went through this last year with a BV who was only 4 years old, after experience in the past with heroic treatments for malo that turned out bad and many regrets I knew when this chin did not respond to treatment I had to put him down after a short time. All chins are different, this may turn out fine and I am sending positive thoughts your way.

I am sorry your chinnie is going through this. Does the vet think that the tooth that broke will grow back or was it very loose in it's position and may fall out completely? I thought that it was recommended for a missing tooth to pull the tooth opposite it since it no longer had anything to grind against and would continue to grow and need constant filing, but since the tooth is still partially there I would think it would be dependent on whether it will grow back. I know what you are going through. It is very difficult when teeth issues arise. I wish you and your chinnie all the best.

My girl that I have to handfeed quite often does not like critical care. I have tried mixing several different things with it. I think it is just trial and error. Sometimes in order to get more into her I would grind her regular pellets, she likes that better. Also, I would get some acidophilus in the highest billion count you can and try to get that into your girl a few hours after the Baytril.

Last edited:
If the opposing tooth is pulled, the ajoining teeth can tilt and shift since chinchilla teeth are "floating", resulting in malo.

I have a dish of ground pellets available in her cage. I started when I realized she would only eat the powdered part of her supplement.
I bought some acidophilus at Walmart but, haven't had much success getting any in her. I am still trying to find a mix that works to get her to eat the CC. I've got pumpkin and blackstrap molasses so, I'm trying different combos.
As for the tooth question, the vet is thinking it may grow back. That is why we are going back in 3-4 weeks. She will then make the recommendation to pull it or leave it. The vet and I both realize that anything we do will only buy her more time and that is it very likely the infection affects more than the one tooth.

i just went through a similar situation about 2 weeks ago. gizmo had an injury to his bottom jaw and it resulted in an infection under one of his teeth. nothing was chipped, but my vet did say that if it had chipped, then he would consider pulling the tooth. but he did mention that in doing so, the corresponding upper tooth may have to come out as well. though, what ticklechin said sounds logical...anyone else have any thoughts on the floating teeth causing malo? ive never heard of it.

anyways, onto the feeding issue. it was sooooooo difficult for me to get gizmo to eat. his critical care was apple/banana flavored. but i still put a bit of pumpkin in it (he was also on baytril). as far as the acidophilus goes, do you have it in capsule form? thats the kind i have, and i put it in with his critical care formula. yea...he had a lot mixed in there. but as far as getting him to eat it....it wasnt easy. i had to burrito him really tight. check out tabs' (RDZchins) post on how to burrito a chin. i believe she posted a video, too. there's a reason its called force feeding. obviously, dont shove it down their throat, but after being wrapped up and held for a few minutes, gizmo was a bit more cooperative in taking the critical care. it took a while and patience is key. in all honesty, i dont think your issue should be "what mixtures will work so that she eats it?", but rather, just getting it in there. i tasted the critical care...and it was fine to me. chins just dont like being wrapped up and having syringes put near their mouths. but it has to be done. maybe try two people at first so that you can focus solely on getting the food down, and the other person holds the wiggling critter.

it'll be a bumpy road. gizmo went from injury (needed metacam)----to infection (put on baytril)---to weight loss and lack of poop (put on reglan), until he finally got better. if your little one has lost that much weight, that definitely needs some attention.

all i can say is patience patience patience. and lots of love...tough love :)

im rootin' for ya!

The chinchillas teeth are not imbedded in bone like most animals. They are free floating are connected in the socket with connective tissue, so they can migrate when not opposed resulting in malo.

Luci, you are right. It really was more about me figuring out how to make her eat it and less about making her want to eat it. That said, I think I have it down now. I've found that she fights me less if I don't burrito her.
Now I just need to get into a schedule for the weekdays.

I found the same thing with my chins that I have had to hand feed. I don't burrito at all anymore unless I absolutely have to.

I too found that if I did not burritto but put it in a bowl and put the bowl in the cage that the chin ate more of the CC. I also found that if I ground up some pellets and put them in the CC that she ate more of the CC, as well.

Latest posts

Back