PICS of before and after skinny chins to happy chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETC

HOME OF EXTREME MOSAICS!
Take a look at the before and after of these beautiful chinchillas.
I bought them off of someone who had no time for them. She said they hated dust baths and did not eat much and she didn't know why they got so skinny. The white one is a RITTERSPACH show chin. They have been with me now for a month. They are happy and chubby.
Can you believe the difference a month makes?

Attachments

• smoky and sonata first day (600 x 450).jpg
    smoky and sonata first day (600 x 450).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 214
  • smoky sonata after one month (600 x 450).jpg
    smoky sonata after one month (600 x 450).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 220
Wow, that's a big difference for just a month. Nice job. Someone should take away that woman's food so we can watch her turn into a skeleton. :impatient:

Poor Chinnies! I am glad to see they are doing a lot better!

Oh my! I am so happy that you are their mommy. That woman is evil! Poor babies. You've done a great job with them. They are adorable.

Not only take away her food, but take away her showers and bathing privileges too. "Oh, but you don't like baths." #*&$#^!! >:O

Wow that is 1000% better already! Yes 1000%!!!!! Poor chinnies, glad someone who cares, has them now!

Thanks for the kind words everyone...
they are no longer in quarantine and have a nice big cage to jump around in, and the white one Sonata is popcorning all over the place, it is so nice to see how happy she is...:)
They are both from wonderful lines. Sonata is from .com and is show quality, and Smoky's parents are nice big chins from really good USA breeders. But now that he has filled out, he doesn't look so puny any more, and he is the world's sweetest chin. I open the cage door and open my hands and he jumps on....

Last edited:
Yeah, I am glad that the chins are doing good now, it looked like they weren't fed like in a week at least, who knows more, and that the other person constantly was not taking care of them, poor chinnies,

Wanted to add but got side tracked and too late to edit.

If it where me, I would keep them separated.

Do you plan on breeding them? (Although they may have already bred.) If the answer is yes.
In my humble opinion, if I chose to breed them I would wait several months to make sure they get a full recovery of this enormous weight loss which may have caused issues health wise.

Again happy you took them in. ;)

Last edited:
They look so much better! The first picture brought tears to my eyes as they looked so sad but thankfully you've made their lives so much better.

BONDED pair of chins

HI, they had been through so much that I kept them together as they have been together for years (with no litter).
I have the pedigrees for both, and the lineage is great, BUT if she happens to finally get pregnant I hope it is not until much later. But they are both thriving.

Wanted to add but got side tracked and too late to edit.

If it where me, I would keep them separated.

Do you plan on breeding them? (Although they may have already bred.) If the answer is yes.
In my humble opinion, if I chose to breed them I would wait several months to make sure they get a full recovery of this enormous weight loss which may have caused issues health wise.

Again happy you took them in. ;)

Last edited:
They look so much better! The first picture brought tears to my eyes as they looked so sad but thankfully you've made their lives so much better.

I know what you mean.....when they were dropped off, my 11 year old also had tears in her eyes and asked what happened to them......:(
She thought they were scraggly babies, not full grown adult chins. Poor Smoky was ALL EARS.....with a tiny body, AND they both looked so greasy...but to look at him now his ears are finally in proportion to his body.

Last edited:
Here is another picture of Smoky the first day, it shows how little and greasy he was.

Attachments

• smoky first day.jpg
    smoky first day.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 42
I mean, how difficult is it to toss some pellets into a bowl on a daily basis eh. :rolleyes:

Now that you've fattened them up, aren't you a little concerned that the female will resume her heat cycle and become pregnant so soon after her malnourished state? I'm not a breeder but I'd think/believe the female would need way more time than a month to get back into tip top shape before she became pregnant and had to nurse kits. I actually didn't realize you had a male/female pair when I first read your post.

Yes you are right.
She is a proven breeder, many times over, and always had easy pregnancies, with one baby only, but she should be given a break to recover.
I had just wanted to avoid as much stress as possible and didn't separate them, as they leaned on eachother, and had been together for over two years with no pregnancies, but now that she is healthier, you are right, it could happen. The previous owner had bred her a few times before she had Smoky as a mate. But I will separate them now.

Back