phantom pain

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo24

hi guys, i have a tripod who has phantom pain syndrome- my vet put him on metacam, tramadol, and gabapentin, does anyone have any experience with these drugs and/or phantom pain?

I have a little girl, who lost her front leg about four years ago, she chews at where her front leg was every now and then. We can't figure out why she does it except for she feels some phantom pain. She will go for as long as two years without any incident of chewing, then she starts acting like she's hurting or feeling something. The leg was amputated in 2008 and I can't figure out what is going on with her. I've had other chins that have had the same issue with no problems.

Does your boy keep chewing at where the limb was? My girl chews at the same place and we have to keep giving her antibiotics when she does it. I worry about her quite a bit because of it.

Aww, sorry to hear about you girl, it is very frustrating to watch them go threw this. He does chew on the stump, its actually bald. He also now is chewing his entire side of his body, leg, other warm, stomach , and his back where he can reach. I have him on herbs now from a holistic vet who is working with my chin vet on the case. We've seen other vets too who all feel its phantom pain.

Phantom pain would not make them chew the rest of the body. Is he just chewing on the fur or is he chewing the skin, too?

Back