PG-13 on my hand

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovemychingary

Hi Everyone! Gary has gotten to the age where he has started trying to "get busy" on my hand whenever I put my hand near him. What are some things I can do to get him to stop? Neutering is out of the question, He is my only chin and I dont feel it is worth the risk. I've considered getting him a stuffed animal but don't think that any old stuffed animal would be safe for him and don't know if he'd "take" to a home made fleece one. Does anyone else have any recommendations? I have young nephews that love to play with him and I'd hate for him to do it to one of them. Please help!!! :hair:

Your best bet is a cuddle buddy for now. Some grow out of it, some don't. One of my males is like that, but you just have to learn when to pull away.

Get him a buddy! lol My first boy Shadowfax startled me the first time he grabbed my hand when I put it in. It was out of the blue, and I thought he was trying to attack it and bite it. Every day after that he would do it, and it took me a couple of days to figure out what he was doing. Since adding two more boys to the cage, he's never done it again. They take care of that with each other. haha! I would guess an artificial buddy would work just as well as a real one. :)

My Sonic does this too. He's a love machine! In fact, that's how I got him out of his cage at his previous owner's home when I went to pick him up. He jumped my hand and I caught him around his ribcage and gently lifted him, caught his butt, and had him to my shoulder before he could blink. Haven't been that successful in calmly picking him up since.

I gave him a cuddle ball and he loves it. I'm working on training him that the ball is for luvin', hands are for scritches. It's slow going but I think he'll get it.

Get one of Annie0's cuddle buddies! I have several and when Sonic comes out of quarentine he'll get one of them - if I can bring myself to part with it. :rolleyes:

Ha! It wasn't too long ago I was asking the same thing... Tried to feed Chilli and imagine my suprise when I was greeted with his *ahem* loving. I ordered him a cuddle buddy from AnnieO and it was a fantastic investment. It only took him all of about 30 seconds to learn to use his new friend instead of my hand. Good luck!

All my boys are different: Beck loves his cuddle buddy, Gizmo has a foot fetish, and Dante's too busy running laps to have time for that stuff. When Chico was living, he LOVED my hand/arm. Never would touch a cuddle buddy, and if I wore long sleeves he'd get mad and root underneath the sleeve until it was pushed up.

Try a cuddle buddy and hope he likes it!!

Just a question about this topic: I know all chins are different and some may not do it at all, but at what age does this type of puberty tend to kick in?

yep, get him a cuddle buddy. AnnieO on here makes chin shaped ones that are uber cute!
I just ordered one from her. i'm excited to get it!! :dance3:

Just a question about this topic: I know all chins are different and some may not do it at all, but at what age does this type of puberty tend to kick in?
I was wondering the same thing, my chin is still pretty young and so he hasn't started doing it yet..

The age they start doing this depends on the chinchilla. some never do while others can start as early as 5 or 6 weeks old. And yes, I have had a 5 week old humping machine.

Boji didn't start until he was 2 and boy was I surprised! You would think my knuckles were his new best friend and he was NOT letting go. Cuddle buddies are definitely the way! Buddha's just over 1 and either hasn't made it there yet or is perfectly content to use Boji, which I certainly don't object to! Ahhh... boys! :))

I got Shadowfax at 8 months old. It was within two weeks that he started "gettin busy". lol It really is something you won't expect. I was shocked he had the strength to grab my wrist and pull it toward him like he did. As I said, I thought he was attacking me. After a couple times without ever feeling a bite, I caught on. haha!

I think meimei kicked in to gear about 3months old?
Like everyone else he grabbed my hand and assaulted it
At first I thought "aww he's hugging my hand" and then I realized he peed on my hand! I pointed at it and showed him , it then dawns on me what happened...
So I point and sternly say no! Bad meimei
He sniffed and licked

-_- speechless....
Got him the buddy immedietly

Boji didn't start until he was 2 and boy was I surprised!

Eep, I thought I was safe since Henry's 18 months and has never yet done that, even to his cuddle buddy, just snuggles with it. He did make the coo noise and waved his tail at me a couple of times though, when he was at the teenage stage!

Agree with the suggestion of a cuddle buddy for Gary, even if he doesn't end up using it to take care of his, uh, urges, he may well like one anyway.

Eep, I thought I was safe since Henry's 18 months and has never yet done that, even to his cuddle buddy, just snuggles with it. He did make the coo noise and waved his tail at me a couple of times though, when he was at the teenage stage!

Agree with the suggestion of a cuddle buddy for Gary, even if he doesn't end up using it to take care of his, uh, urges, he may well like one anyway.

agreed! meimei at first didn't use it for that sort but he cuddled it and played what kind of looks like wrestling biting/pulling the ear flipping around jumping on it

mm2.jpg

Last edited:
Leo started doing this a week or two ago, and after reading this I made him my own cuddle buddy out of some left over fleece that I had. Granted he doesn't seem that interested in it.

On a funny note, I was laying on my back propped up on my elbows in his playpen today, and he tried to "have a go" at my face. I was NOT about to let that happen LOL.

Back