Petsmart and Lava Bites

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesame

In the past, I've had no problems fulfilling my chinchilla's love for lava bites because Petsmart had them in stock all the time. Now, I've noticed they have switched over to selling only the lava ledges/perches, but no bites. Is this happening nationally? Or is it just the two local Petsmarts in the area? Or is Super Pet not producing anymore lava bites?

My chin really prefers to hold the lava bite in her hand, so the perches, ledges, and dots aren't really working out too well here. If it's just the Petsmarts near me, I'm going to ask their management about getting the lava bites back in stock. I have the regular pumice stones, but it's nice to give the lava bites as a special "treat."

Any insight?

all my local petsmarts don't carry any of the 'Lava' products!!! :( they used to, but seems as soon as i get enslaved by a chin, that's exactly when they stopped carrying the Lava line. UGH!!!! lol. Rhino LOVES his lava bites, and the only store here that carries them is a little mom n pop pet store in a mall, and they charge ridiculous prices. last time i checked there, a pack of three bites was more than 6 bucks. yikes!

i've emailed SuperPet on another question and i never received a response. nice customer service there........ lol.

Petco still carries them. Don't know if there is one by you. Is there a feed by you that sells them? The one I buy my hay and bedding from carries them. I think Allie sells them on her site too.

yep, Allie over at Camphor does sell them, but i'd much rather get things locally when i can, and not have to pay shipping. up here in Canada, shipping can either be way more expensive than what you US-er's pay to get it up here in the same time frame, or it can be fairly cheap but takes a month to get here just about. either way, it's ridiculous, lol. Tack on the worry of barked wood items being intercepted at the border, ordering from the States just isn't making much sense to me. The very few Canadian sites that do carry them don't have much else that i want, so that's a no go.

we don't have Petco up here. the only store i have yet to check is PJ's Pet Centre (chain, but much smaller than Petsmart), but they are sooooo not convenient to get to, all the way across town.

maybe i need to stand outside Petsmart with a sign that says "bring back the Lava, my chin demands it!" ?? hahahaha!!!!

Petland also has them. Interesting, I emailed Superpet a question, it took a few days, but they got back to me.

And of course, Drs Foster and Smith, and various other online stores have them, and they'd probably be a fair bit cheaper than the ones you'd find in a store.

It's funny because where I shop, Petsmart doesn't have lava bites but they have lava ledges (my chins love both so no problems there), but if I want lava bites, I need only to drive a block up the street, and voila, Petco! They are ridiculously close together.

I had the same problem!! Everytime I went to petsmart, they were out of the Lava Bites!! I actually found one package at Petco. I guess they are an extremely popular item. I bought two lava ledges and my chins do chew on them. Tribble likes to chew the ledge and then roll around in the dust! LOL..

That's what mine does too. Chinchy has five lava ledges in his cage, but one is positioned over his hammock. He'll chew on the ledge and scratch at it, and then roll in the hammock, lol.

hmm... I went to my local Petco, but they never have the lava bites. The two Petsmarts nearby had the lava bites and I would hoard them every single time (especially when it was on sale!).

There is also a small mom-and-pop petstore that sells a lot of puppies, but I'm not a fan of this store and don't want to buy lava bites there.

I guess I'll ask the two Petsmarts about it.

I forgot about buying stuff on amazon! Totally just used it to buy the lava bites. I think I'll still ask Petsmart about the lava bites though. Sometimes it's just easier to go pick it up in person.

My chinnies love the lava stars, i managed to get them a couple of times and now not so much. Even though they are well loved they seem to be quite expensive and hard to get, the only places i seem to find them now is off ebay and amazon but they are expensive on their too. They used to cost about £3 from my pet shop but online i would have to pay about £5 and its not worth it when i can buy i lava block for about £2 and they have just as much fun (i really liked the colours though).

I'd ask the store if they can get some in for you. They should be able to. Also, check their website to see if they carry them. Normally if they carry one product, they can easily get another the company makes.

I checked Petsmart's website and they didn't have lava bites, but they had the lava ledges. They still might be able to order it specially though.

my petco and petsmart still sell them. but i had to look in a weird place to find them at petsmart. ruby loves the lava chews so much! they're her favorite!

I checked Petsmart's website and they didn't have lava bites, but they had the lava ledges. They still might be able to order it specially though.

Same here... I checked online and was not able to find them. Normally in the store itself, I find them where the hays, mineral wheels, and that kinda of small animal items are.

Back