Pellet-only diet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliespooks

I'm pretty sure I read it on a thread recently that breeders with large herds only free-feed pellets because it is too expensive to feed all of them hay as well. Of course, the pellet would be a good brand like oxbow. Is this viable for pet chinchillas too? Just curious because my chins barely eat their hay and kick the rest out of their cage onto the floor.

Are you feeding them Oxbow hay? It's the only kind other than alfalfa that my guys will eat.

A pellet only diet is fine they are nutritionally balanced.

If I can't get good hay or cubes I do pellet only.

What types of hay have you tried? There are several varieties of hay that are good for chinchillas. Maybe you just haven't found the type your chins like best. Einstein goes absolutely NUTS for orchard grass hay. I have noticed it has sort of 'sweet' smell to it, so I assume it tastes somewhat sweet.

I've only tried the Kaytee Timothy hay. I've tried haycubes too but those mostly just get shredded and not eaten.

I shop at petsmart and have only noticed the Kaytee brand. I'll have to check out to see if they have orchard grass and the other brands mentioned. Or is that something I need to buy online?

The Petsmart stores around here also carry Oxbow hay, which is a pretty good brand. The Kaytee hay isn't always the freshest.

I do the western timothy hay and my guys go through quite a bit of it. I get it shipped to me in bulk with my pellets and bedding cause pet stores charge quite a bit for smaller amounts and can get a bit heavy when you order a bunch of stuff.

I see that you're in the states so this site I order from might not be ideal cause of the international shipping charges but I'm sure there are other online stores in the states like this. I happen to like them because they're real big chinnie lovers and if you talk to them/email them, they're really nice and send samples of other stuff with the shipment for your chinnies to try out. I would imagine any online place would be able to send you some samples though.

Back