Pedigree Information

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetrue

I was wondering what people think SHOULD be on a pedigree in order to make it a useful tool to someone breeding.

I think at a minimum you need to have background history of the chin's parents and preferably their grandparents as well. I think the following information should be listed for each chin in the pedigree:
Chin #
Color
DOB
Breeder
Show winnings
Health issues

This information would help distinguish what lines you are using in your breeding, what colors are in your lines, how the chins have done in show and if there are any health issues that have presented themselves.

Cheryl

If the chin has been in breeding, I like to also know littering information also. (How many kits were born, and how many were weaned). :)

I like dob, colors, ranch brands and numbers.

I also want at least the parents, more if possible but I know sometimes the buggers will eat a pedigree and you now lost valuable information..

My pedigrees are just like Shoots' - Animal number, DOB, parents/grandparents, number in litter (M/F).
That's all I give out - BUT if someone wants more info - I have every possible thing I could think to keep track of in an excel document on my computer and will freely give it out when asked.

I was wondering what people think SHOULD be on a pedigree in order to make it a useful tool to someone breeding.

Everything in my head would be useful to someone breeding.

Card is basic.
DOB
Two generations
ET
Number
Littering info if it is a breeder.

Otherwise it is kept on the computer.

I don't find I need anything other than the above though extended peds are sometimes very interesting.

Something to consider, I list very basic info on my pedigrees. DOB, parents, grandparents, color of chin and if desired parents, show placings...that's about it off the top of my head.

BUT, if someone is buying a breeding animal from me there should be no health issues in the lines. Period. I do not breed animals with any health issues, genetically speaking. Say I have a pair and, later in life one was diagnosed with a health issue. If their kits were sold to breeding homes I would notify those homes of the health issue. Otherwise, breed genetically healthy animals...sell genetically healthy kits.

Like said, I keep my pedigrees very basic. If someone inquires about a specific aspect I'm more than glad to elaborate but there is no need to include all that information on a pedigree. I see a pedigree as a "starting point" Something you can trace should a problem arise or should you want to know more about line characteristics. For example, I sell a standard. The person wishing to breed wants to keep their lines ebony free. 5 generations back there was an ebony. Will I list that on the pedigree? No, as my pedigrees generally do not include any colors other than that of the chin being purchased. It is the buyers responsibility to question that and THEN I will give that info. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, that info may be useless to that individual so no point in writing out every little aspect of the lineage.

BUT, if someone is buying a breeding animal from me there should be no health issues in the lines. Period. I do not breed animals with any health issues, genetically speaking.

Ange - I completely agree. I was thinking items like - C-Sections, Broken Leg, amputations, Attacks that made a chinchilla blind, Heat stroke. Things that are not genetic, but are good to know. C-sections in particular I always want to know about!

Like said, I keep my pedigrees very basic. If someone inquires about a specific aspect I'm more than glad to elaborate but there is no need to include all that information on a pedigree. I see a pedigree as a "starting point" Something you can trace should a problem arise or should you want to know more about line characteristics. For example, I sell a standard. The person wishing to breed wants to keep their lines ebony free. 5 generations back there was an ebony. Will I list that on the pedigree? No, as my pedigrees generally do not include any colors other than that of the chin being purchased. It is the buyers responsibility to question that and THEN I will give that info. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, that info may be useless to that individual so no point in writing out every little aspect of the lineage.

I guess I do not understand the reason to make someone have to ask for more information, specifically when it comes to color. I have many individuals that will ask me for standards that I know what to breed a nice standard. I would never sell anyone looking to develop a standard line, any of my standards. I breed ebonies and violets and violet wraps and all my standards are put into breeding with my mutes so all my standard kits will be EC or VC or both. So if I know that a chin has ebony in their lines 5 generations back, I will tell them that at a minimum.

Personally I will give all information I have on my pedigrees for as many generations as I have. It takes no extra time for me to do this. I have all my pedigrees in excel, so I simply copy what I have for each parent and put it together for the kit.

Cheryl

I personally list all colors that I know. I also will make it a point to inform someone looking at breeding if there is ebony in the lines, provided i know it is there. I feel that is something a buyer should know, especially if they are using the animal with white bellied lines.

Ange - I completely agree. I was thinking items like - C-Sections, Broken Leg, amputations, Attacks that made a chinchilla blind, Heat stroke. Things that are not genetic, but are good to know. C-sections in particular I always want to know about!
Amputations and blindness are obvious, I don't bother noting that or breaks though I sell them as blind or tripods. Things I might note on a card would be suspected aggression, suspicious kit deaths, if I found it with it's teeth stuck in the cage or something that might cause harm or death further down the road. Those are all notes for me and likely those animals will either be sold to pet homes or culled.

I consider things like the requirement for a C-Section or lack of milk production genetic flaws that if I did run into would deal with accordingly. Purchasing from breeders that follow those same principles has given me a trouble free herd. It bothers me as more people are having C-Sections done and hand feeding when normally those animals would have been culled. It just spreads the problem on to a new generation.

I guess I do not understand the reason to make someone have to ask for more information, specifically when it comes to color.
For pet sales I only give the chin's color and DOB.

If the person buying is a breeder we've likely already discussed the animal in question's attributes and history and if it is a good match for their herd if they were interested. If they are not, I just send a pedigree. :))

I feel that is something a buyer should know, especially if they are using the animal with white bellied lines.
This is a really good point. Since I only work with ebony variations I've never needed to take that into consideration.

Last edited:
Back