PayPal Fraud- Be Careful

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paws4Chins

Chin Spirit
I wanted to pass this information along so people are aware of possible PayPal fraud that comes via email. I got an email today stating that I was invoiced for a Skype account and it looked like an official PayPal Invoice. Skype is free unless you elect to use there phone service which I did not. The email said to cancel invoice if I had not ordered this service. I went to my PayPal account to look for charge to see if it was there and there was nothing listed. I proceeded to click the button on the email to cancel the order...it then asked for all kinds of info...card holder, full credit card number, SSN, mothers maiden name. These are all things that sent red flags up. I called PayPal and they said it sounded like fraud and are looking into it. The message and link all looked very legit and formal. Upon closer examination the incoming email did not have the typical pay pal address in the sender column listed (it came from lapduwet@ a very strange extension.com) or the little green shield with check mark. I did not give any info and called PayPal. Also, when I clicked on the links on the cancel order site it did not route me to PayPal home or PayPal security. For those who use PayPal please scrutinize anything that comes via email that sounds similar to this. As I said it all look very official and legit and had I not questioned things I am afraid I would have given info to bad people. As a rule NEVER give out you personal and financial info via an email.

This was the first I had ever received...and it freaked me out. Thanks for letting me know that you have received a few also. While it does not make me feel better about this happening it does make me for less that the world is coming to and end and that others have had the same problem. I did forward it on to [email protected]. What else do you do besides forwarding the email on? I have virus, malware, and spyware protection on my computer and keep it updated I also changed things on my PayPal account.

I never click on links from anything, including my bank, AOL account etc. I just hand type everything in. They are pretty sneaky. Even Craigslist is become an issue. you replay to what looks like a legit ad, and it's a spammer!

That is another good rule to follow...never click on a link in a email unless you know and trust the sender. I practice this all the time but this looked so offical...sneaky. I also hand type things to my account or use the favorites option. Is it safe to use the favorites option?

I'd just always pay particularly close to the url whenever you use your favorites. Make sure it has https which means the site is secure, etc. I believe I got that right. Brain doesn't always function with the hands, or just ceases up on me at any given moment, kind of like my dsl! lol

Back