Painting and FN

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
This is sort of silly. Since I have heard of people painting their cages before I thought I would ask. I am totally into interior design and we are moving and redecorating. I was wondering if there is a safe non toxic paint that I could paint my FN with to match the room. If not, c'est la vie, better safe than sorry but I just thought I would ask. THANKS

The only thing I would consider would be to find a company that could powedercoat your FN (it is already powedercoated, but in that silver vein color) powedercoating comes in all colors, but some places may only do certain ones.

Not sure about here - but I know there are safe spraypaints that I have used for bird cages. Krylon makes one and so does Rustoleum.

I'm not really sure of this - but would the powder coating on the Fn allow you to paint it without the paint chipping off later? It might need to be sanded off first and then a new color of powder paint could be applied.

I'm totally with you on the whole painting the cage to match the room thing! I'm all about interior design as well and I love to coordinate everything!

Then there's an issue to consider of bar chewers. If your chinnies get anxious when they want out or something and they chew on the bars, maybe it would be best not to paint it. Just a thought.

There are only two ways to strip powder coating I'm aware of; dipping in a caustic solution, and sand or media blasting, both rather expensive!
You'd be better off contacting the company for special colors or getting one uncoated and taking it somewhere that can do a special color.
Powder coating Is put on by giving a positive charge to the metal and putting colored dust with a negative charge on it, and baking it until it melts together, into a coating!
I'd think Ferret Nation uses a non-toxic formula, not redily available elsewhere!

You could just get a decorative sheet or fabric to cover the sides-- I did that and it keeps the poo and dust inside better too!!

Back