Overweight or just right?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdr13

I just want to know how someone can know if their chinchilla is overweight or if they are ok at their weight? I mean I've seen chins on here going over 1000 grams, i just don't know how you determine what is a good healthy weight for them? If they are eating good food and good hay (both oxbow) is that all that matters? Thanks for all the input in advance!

Chins in general don't get too fat. Unless they're fed bad treats like nuts and seeds which have fat on them. If they're just getting good feed and hay and healthy treats there shouldn't be a problem.

Some have rolls, but it's perfectly natural.

I love roley, poley chins. :D

Like Alli said, as long as they are on a good quality food/hay (like yours are) and the treats re kept to a min, and are healthy treats, your chin is fine.

Not sure if this is just my vet but she holds the big ones up under the armpits and lets them dangle, if there are fat rolls over the fingers they are fat.

My chin weighs about 600 grams... the doc said she's actually very small/underweight.

Some animals are just bigger than others though... and I think fattie animals are the cutest, personally. ^^

600g is a good weight for a chin. I have a girl here who's a smaller build at about 550g but is more than healthy. If they've got a roll or two under their pits, then you're good.

Ok, cuz my boy Fleury was the one i found outside and when i found him he felt very thin, but weighed 620 grams....well that was back in september and now he weighs 713 grams...he eats oxbow hay and food, oxbow barley treats and stacey wolfs treats (but only occasionally). My girl Sidney (that i got from my vet Angie) is a bigger chin all around, like structure wise and everything and she is like 917 grams. I just want to make sure Fleury isn't too fat.

Back