Our logs are too big, any ideas?

• Thread starter PetProductsByNature
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PetProductsByNature

We have several logs, no, I mean a LOT, that are just too big to turn into our regular toy parts, and since I don't have a chinchilla, just my silly macaw, (and she's like Mikey, she'll eat (destroy) anything, but a bird can only use so many logs, right?) So my question is...Is there something I could make with them for chins? I was thinking of maybe cutting them in half lengthwise and putting hardware in the end for a perch or ledge. They all have bark on them so they would be good chewing for a chin I would think. If that's a good idea, how wide should the flat surface be? and how long should they be so anyone can put them in their cage? I get the feeling from reading other posts and classifieds that there are standard size cages...am I right? Are hard woods or soft woods for cage accessories more desirable? Jeff also had the idea of cutting off a bit on one side to mount it flush to the cage side in maybe 2 or 3places to make it secure. I can't explain it, but it made perfect sense when he suggested it. And if thiose are crummy ideas, any other suggestions would be appreciated. And does anybody have any ideas as to what we might be able to do with our woods, any of our woods, that would be a specialty item just for chinchillas? Thanks...Just Me

First - search 'safe woods' and make sure your's is on there!
You can cut "coins", maybe an inch thick - they love to sit on them!
If still too big, cut those in half, install bolts and washers, and you have "perches", which can be used anywere in the cage!
Look in supplies or sale and you'll get some ideas!!

Split the logs in half so one side is flat. Then make a swing out of it with either sturdy wire, or thin chain. Like a swing on a kids' playground, but for chinnies.

Hope I explained that right? If not, bug me and I'll try to get a visual aid (lol)
~Barb~

Hey Rickman...I take it we haven't met. I'm Barbi. :wave: My husband Jeff and I have this little internet company called Pet Products By Nature also known as PPNB. We've been working closely with Tunes here, Sally from ChinCare, Linda at Chins2Home and many others in the "chin know" for the last 5 years or so to insure that each wood or other item that we sell is absolutely safe, without a doubt, safe for chins. We have cottonwood, cholla, elm, mulberry, ocotillo, pecan, willow and yucca that we carry on a regular basis in toy parts: coins, chews and whirlies, and a stock pile of logs that are too big to go through our saw. It's just that we only know birds since that's what we have, so I was looking for some new good chin ideas especially since the majority of our customers are chin owners. Jeff wants a new band saw (?) that will apparently cut the larger wood and we have to be able to justify the cost or uncle sam will be breathing down our neck.
Well, now that we've officially met and I've given you my life story, how big of an area does a little furball need to plant his little furb***?

Do you have any pictures? What are the dimensions?

No pictures, but I can get some in the morning if need be. Our toy parts stop at 3" diameters, so those are basically spoken for, but the logs we have and haven't figured out a use for average from 3" to about 4" and we can start bringing home even larger than that when we get new woods. I think right now we have the larger logs in Cottonwood, maybe Pecan & Mulberry and definately Willow.
My next question would be, for a perch, or a swing as Barb suggested, would soft wood or hard wood be better or does it even matter? just a chinnie's personal favorite?

I think the matter of soft vs hardwood is going to be personal preference of each chin. Just as some prefer mulberry over apple, each is going to have his/her own likes & dislikes. I like hardwood as I think its easier to clean if anyone has a piddle accident, but most of my chins seem to prefer softer woods.

As for size - I think you'd want at least 6" in length to make a decent platform to fit a chinnie behind. Others might come along & offer their suggestions as well. I feel like I'm hogging your thread :)
~Barb~

Maybe just keep the wood as a stump and cut it so that it is stable on it's own. It could then be placed in the cage and the chin could use it as a standing perch without it being attached to the side of the cage in any place. I've done that before with pieces of wood that are just too large to want to cut them more than once. Those big logs are such a pain to cut...and it makes me very nervous. Anything that is more than four inches in diameter scares me!

I took 4" applewood logs and cut them on an angle in order to get 4 x 6 perches - trimmed one long side pretty flat, and used 2' drywall screws and fender washers that worked well, as long as you pre-drill the screws about 1 1/2". A girl in Schaumberg, Il. bought a dozen and spaced them accordingly, and said her chins loved them!
I was using a miter saw, and wish I'd had a band saw, as I was restricted too much!
Cool you're expanding into chin supplies, too!! Good luck!

You might get some ideas for perch dimensions from this site: http://www.chinontherocks.com/index...se&category_id=1&Itemid=73&vmcchk=1&Itemid=73

Another idea for REALLY huge logs: If you can drill an entry hole about 6" diameter in it, hollowing it out part way would make a completely edible chin-safe house. I'm thinking this shape, but not made of saw dust and honey: https://www.feedem.co.uk/small-anim...od-products-hamster-edible-5174-3652_zoom.jpg

But if you did something like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753530 you could make the thatched roof out of chew strings or snakstiks.

Oh my gosh...now it's REALLY clear why I joined CnH. You people are a great source of great ideas. I LOVE all of your ideas! Nothing like working with those who you're selling to to come up with what they like :) We've started on the swings, we like the stump idea and the perches, (or are they ledges?) and the last post about the hidaways is AWESOME!!! Keep the creative minds working. We have wood, need ideas though and the more variety of things we can work on the less likely Jeff is to get bored with cutting coins, chews & whirlies.

I would be all over these large wood items, love the perch idea! Post pics and prices when done!!!!!!!

*sigh* Sometimes I hate living in the UK - you guys have access to some brilliant products and toys that no-one really supplies here. :(

*wanders off to mope a bit*

We've shipped to the UK before...just can't send cholla...This is all so silly in my opinion...any cacti varieties are endangered species(that part I get)...Well, we can get a firewood permit from the local government to go collect all the dead and down cholla we want, and although we can apparently burn it in our fireplace or for a campfire, or even sell it as firewood or pet products to anyone in the states who wants it, we can't sell it out of the country...how's that for messed up? What a waste! Burning all that precious wood! We can, however, sell it to someone in the states, they can repackage it and as far as I understand, they can sell it anywhere in the world. It's just that we have our name on the permits, so we can't.
But we have a lot of other GREAT products that could be shipped internationally. I'll try to get some pictures of the perches & or swings a little later today...we're busy cutting right now before it gets too hot. It's supposed to get to 111 today!!!

I would be all over these large wood items, love the perch idea! Post pics and prices when done!!!!!!!
Can I do that in this thread, or do I need to go to classifieds? Can I post pics and prices and get ya'll's opinions here? or maybe ask for suggestions on prices? Let me know, cause I hate to get into trouble my first week on the forum. The first piece of elm is 9" long x maybe 3" across and sanded on the cut side. We still only have a saw that will cut 3" deep, so can't really go any bigger than that and keep it looking clean until we get that band saw. How long do I make it hang? It's going to be a swing using veggie tanned leather for hanging. Is the leather okay? It's abut 1/4"+ thick and really hard to cut, so thought it would be hard for a chin to chew through too. Nickel plate pearlink okay? It's almost ready but need to know these things before I go any further...this figuring it out takes all the time, then it oughta be smooth sailing.

If you want suggestions Barbi, ask for it here. We try to keep chatter out of the classifieds to make them simpler to read and shop through. So go ahead and post pictures and people can tell you whether or not they would be interested in them, what they can improve on, etc.

We've shipped to the UK before...

But we have a lot of other GREAT products that could be shipped internationally.
Oooh it's good to know you ship internationally. :dance3:
I'd need a shed load though and I think it would be prohibitive with shipping - it's really frustrating .................. but I might PM you with a request anyway just to see how much of a dent it would make in my pocket :thumbsup:

Can I do that in this thread, or do I need to go to classifieds? Can I post pics and prices and get ya'll's opinions here? or maybe ask for suggestions on prices? Let me know, cause I hate to get into trouble my first week on the forum. The first piece of elm is 9" long x maybe 3" across and sanded on the cut side. We still only have a saw that will cut 3" deep, so can't really go any bigger than that and keep it looking clean until we get that band saw. How long do I make it hang? It's going to be a swing using veggie tanned leather for hanging. Is the leather okay? It's abut 1/4"+ thick and really hard to cut, so thought it would be hard for a chin to chew through too. Nickel plate pearlink okay? It's almost ready but need to know these things before I go any further...this figuring it out takes all the time, then it oughta be smooth sailing.

I would not use leather, the chain works well, I have seen people string toy parts on the chain to cover it up, give less of a chance of the chin getting a leg somewhow tangled up in the chain, that I have heard of happening.

Back