Organic Puya Bromeliad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mognyoda19

I saw this on Your Chin Store Galore's page and I was wondering what you guys thought of it? They look like really gorgeous plants, and it says that it is a normal item of chins diets in the wild. Anyone have any more information on the nutritional value of this plant?

From the store's site:

ORGANIC PUYA BROMELIAD

10 plants will be available in the summer of 2010 (they are slooooowly growing)

The Puya bromeliad is a species of plant native to the Chilean Andes. Studies have shown that it is a year round staple in the wild chinchillas diet. We will be offering it as live plants once they reach 5-6" inches high.

Just to clarify, I'm not questioning the store, I love it and have purchased many things from there, I'm just curious. :hmm:

I have no idea what it is, but I love and trust Sarah to the ends of this earth. I'm very excited to maybe get one, but it depends on the cost!

Ok, now I know my chinchillas are not wild chinchillas but I was thinking of trying my hand at growing puya berteroniana plants. I've done some research, but do you think it'd be worth growing to add to my chin's diet?

Oh, I know. There's a nursery near me that has some and I found some seeds online, but I was considering adding it to the loofah in my chinnie garden. I just searched for puya and this thread came up so I thought I'd bring it up again.

Back