Opinion on Mark on Head

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The1nOnlyMatty

So one two of our boys were rescues. Our standard boy (Duke) has red markings on his fur. I have heard breeding/showing wise this is an undesirable trait but he's just a pet here so we love them and think they give him his character. He has always had a red mark on the center of his forehead. However, as he's grown his fur has continued to grow but this one spot has not

aefc62e8-2597-3c00.jpg

In this pic it somewhat looks like a wound however it is simply here the red hairs are slightly shorter than the rest. Is this normal/not an issue, or something worth getting checked out by a vet? This is the first time I've really gotten a close look at it an realized the fur is actually shorter. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

How long have you had this particular chin? Can you get a clearer, sharper photo of it? If you've only had him a short time, its quite possible it was from an existing injury. Or perhaps a cage mate chewed him. I'm curious to see better photos since "red" fur is not quite possible unless it was extreme oxidation, which I highly doubt would be centered in one area. If you've had him a while, its possible he'll always have shorter fur due to scarring.

He actually has a red tint in quite a few spots, this one is just the most prominent. He's only four months, I have had him since two months. He was part of a very mistreated mass surrender so being an existing scar is quite possible.

aefc703e-484d-c0a8.jpg

aefc703e-48ba-c817.jpg

Don't think either of those are much better. That first pic was a rarity. He normally darts the minute he Sees the camera.

Its possible another chin was chewing his fur, and maybe still is now that I see you have them in a group. As for the discoloration, its still hard to tell. Do any of your other chins have the discoloration?

It's nothing, just a poor quality coat on a young chin who hasn't fully primed into his adult coat yet. It used to be a lot more common to see these in the 80's. As he ages it will push out to normal fur but he will always have an off-color cast.

Ok thanks! I knew it wasn't a desirable trait but we love it...makes him a little unique. Glad to know its nothing I need to worry about. Thanks again!

Back