Only a filthy fur? pics included

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

So, as some of you know I have 2 male chins that live in a ferret Nation cage. They get their daily hay and pellets, fresh water, and for more then a month now everything is going ok.
The last days were a bit warmer over here where I live, for the rest nothing else changed in their life.

Now for some reson one of my chins has weird spots on the fur. It looks as if the fur has been filthy with something? The spot of hair is a bit stiff. Also the hairs appear to be much longer then the rest of the fur, but they are not loose...

I have no idea what caused this, is it something to worry about or is it "normal"?
Should I try and remove these hairs myself? He has had them for 2-3 days.

16a6xzl.jpg

j9u1ag.jpg

124hs0p.jpg

FYI: they both eat, drink and sleep normally, also his behaviour is not different then usual. Yesterday evening the amount of loose hairs had allready been a bit less (grooming?) but I found 2 squishy pieces of poo, no idea if related...

Last edited:
Oh...
The other one is 3.5 months, aint that a bit young for that?
Anyway, am I supposed to do something about this or should those spots go away after a while by their own grooming?
And what about the long hairs that stick out of his fur? (look on the head and on the back behind the head). Like I said, they ain't lose but they are sticking out from the rest of the fur. What could be the reason for this and do i need to do something about this?

Thanks in advance

Its likely that they'll groom it out themselves eventually, but if you want, you can pull it out. It doesn't take much. Just grab on to it and give a gentle tug. If its just a small little spot, it should slip pretty easily.

I can't pull them out. The hairs are attached to the rest of the fur, tried to gently tug it a few times, but my chinny does not like this at all.
We are now a few days later, and the filthy spot is gone, the loose hairs aren't.
probably because they are just behind his head (and thus hard to reach?). Should I leave these or cut them off gently?

I would not use scissors around a chinchilla. Just try tugging on it again. Unless is is a big mat, it should come out. Your chinchilla will probably kack at you when you do it, but that is because you are annoying the chin, not hurting it.

I agree with cuddle if on this one, ive done this a few times myself you won't hurt the chin if you pull the hair out.

I swear guys, it didn't work... I pulled it, and it hurted him a bit, that's how good I pulled :)
Since it didn't loosen I did trim it off with a little beard trimmer, less dangerous then a scissor and the knot is gone. His fur looks as it hould now, thanks for the advice all.

Back