One of my biggest fears is now a reality. No electricity.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menagerie

Creative Genius
Electricity to all San Diego Gas & Electric customers went off this afternoon and we will all be without electricity at least until sometime tomorrow. I was fortunate enough that when I realized the extent of the outage I ran to Home Depot and bought a generator so I do currently have a/c for the chins, but I only have a limited supply of gas.

Oh no! I Hope you have enough gas to last you, and that all the chinnies are ok in the event that you run out. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya!

Ugh - Has it cooled off out your way at all Meanie? It's been a lot ore pleasant here for the last week or so.

Holy cow, it's a double whammy! Sorry Meanie :(... hope it comes back sooner than they say it will.

Ugh - Has it cooled off out your way at all Meanie? It's been a lot ore pleasant here for the last week or so.
Nope, it's been hotter than **** here the past few days. Has been in the 90s. It is supposed to cool down tomorrow.

Hopefully it's back in the low 80's tomorrow. That's what they are predicting. Thank goodness you and the kids are nice and cool again.

It has been very miserable with the temperatures in the high 90's to low 100's. I filled my generator this morning just in case the electricity went out. Thank God it didn't. I can't wait for tomorrow to cool down.

Hopefully it's back in the low 80's tomorrow. That's what they are predicting. Thank goodness you and the kids are nice and cool again.

Otherwise Baggy and friends are coming to visit Shelly ;)

Otherwise Baggy and friends are coming to visit Shelly ;)

Lol! Meanie and I were texting most of the day. If she needs to Baggy and friends are more than welcome to camp out with Shelly and I.

I just turned on the news and it sounds like power is starting to come back on. Hopefully Meanie gets power back soon. It's been insanely hot here this week. All of So Cal is roasting.

Hope you get power back on soon. I went through a over night with no power over the summer and no fun. On the plus side you can always go to Cindy's and Shelly can teach your chins more on how to chew things up faster than ever. hehehe.

Greetings from Nags Head, NC!

Thank you to Cindy and Meanie for the text updates. And thank you Meanie for taking such loving care of my precious Handbag! I hear power is coming back on and I hope it cools down quickly!

Love to all from the Outer Banks!

Power update? Have you had to siphon gas yet from your neighbors? I hope it hasn't come to such drastic measures! POWER, POWER, POWER!

Power should be back on according to the news. I have friends in Yuma, AZ that were not doing well without the power.

Sorry about the lack of update. My DSL stopped working last night.

Well, we ran out of gas at 9 pm. :cry3: I tried to siphon gas out of my van, but it has an anti-theft feature and siphoning is not possible. I got 2 gallons of gas from my gardener neighbor so we were set for a bit, but not enough to get us through the night. Someone posted to FB that Temecula had gas and power so I called the station to confirm and loaded up my empty gas cans and borrowed a couple from another neighbor and set off on a hour drive to get gas. I was praying that they still had gas when I got there, as I didn't have enough gas to drive home. Ooops.

When I arrived in Temecula, there was a line and the people at the pumps didn't seem to be pumping gas. There was some kind of computer glitch which they quickly fixed. I filled up the van, started filling up the cans and the pump shut off at $100. Apparently that is the limit set on my debit card for gas stations. So I had to swipe it again and filled up the rest of them.

Reports on the radio were that power was being restored to some areas. Unfortunately, my neighborhood was not one of them. I arrived home about 11:30 pm to a pitch black street. Hauled the gas into the back yard and filled up the generator. We were at least set for 10 hours at that point. Got a call from a friend who had power and were checking in on me. I finally got to bed about 1:30 am and still no power. Topped the generator up before I slid into bed.

I woke up to bedroom lights being on at about 3:15, got up switched the a/c to the electricity and turned the noisy generator off. Then crawled back into bed.

Thanks to Cindy for keeping up on the news and keeping me posted. I had my hands full getting and putting together the generator.

Kudos to the Arco station in Temecula (Old Town Front Street and Western Bypass) for not taking advantage of the situation and keeping their normal prices. There were a lot of San Diego people there getting gas. As it was, at normal prices my car and 15 extra gallons was $111 and some change. You can bet that whenever I'm in Temecula, I will be stopping there to get gas or a snack. I heard stories on the radio about random San Diego stations that were coming back on-line as power was being restored and charging $5.00 a gallon, because they could.

Last edited:
That is great news. I'm thrilled you have power again. It's amazing how one person can take out all of the power.

It's supposed to be 20 degrees cooler here today. Yesterday the high was 97, today is supposed to be 77. It was scary how quickly the temperature in the chin room climbed. When the power went off at 3:45 it was 73 in the chin room. I closed the door to keep the cold in and the heat out. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to get the generator, get home in traffic without traffic lights, put the generator together and get it set up and running. In that time the temperature had raised to 78 in the chin room. Granted there are 23 heat generating bodies in there, but it was fast and frightening.

Glad you got power back (relatively) quickly. Nothing like a little (LOL) stress to keep the adrenaline flowing... ;)

Latest posts

Back