OH boy..(literally!)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 3, and babys weight is still 34grams... Moms doing her job...but I'm wondering if her milk is even in yet? It sounds like the baby is eating when it's under her, but how do you know for sure if the milk is in? I may have to resort to hand feeding..

well, if he hasn't lost in three days he is getting something. do you have two bottles up for mom? (one water and one 50/50 apple juice and water)

good luck and keep us posted.

From what I remember, it takes a couple days for her milk to come in. She should have it by now. He hasn't lose weight, which is a good thing. If he starts losing weight and because lethargic, then you should worry. Otherwise, it seems like mom is doing well so far. Have you considered getting her a chube? Those cardboard tube type of things at pet stores? It's something to hide in, but round so she can't really perch up there. It could work. If not, you can always give it to dad!

Just keep an eye on mom and baby for awhile, but at a distance. Let her do her thing. :) She's probably just stressing because it's a new thing for her and there's been a bunch of moving around for them all.

Update: baby STILL shows no weight change...no loss, no gain. mommas still doing her job keeping baby warm...should I be worried about the weight?

I'm with Jeff. If you have gone 3 days with absolutely nothing, start supplementing. You don't have to do it every 2 hours, but I would do it at least 4 times a day. His weight should have moved one way or the other by now.

Are you sure your scale is functioning?

I've used two scales, both read the same. I'm going to pick up the stuff to start supplementing today after work, luckily it's only a 4hr shift today

Edit: what kind of feeder should I use? glass eyedropper?

I think a small syringe works best for handfeeding kits, but it is a trial by error type of deal. I would get an eye dropper and a few syringes to try out.

Can't they chomp down and break a glass eyedropper?

It's never supposed to go in their mouth, or at least, that's the theory. I never had a problem with glass eye droppers except for control. Someone mentioned on CnQ about using a syringe. I tried that and liked it so much better. You really do have better control with the syringe over the eyedropper, but as much most other things, it's a matter of what works best for you. If the dropper does, go with it. If the syringe does, then use that.

If I do start hand feeding the kit - will mom lose any milk production she currently has? Can the kit go back to mom after being hand fed?

That's why I suggested just a couple times a day for now Nick. So mom will hopefully continue to produce milk (or start to?). It may become a judgment call as to whether you need to go to full hand feeding, depending on how his weight gain is.

But, if nothing else, mom can take care of the "other" end for you. :)

For everyone that doesn't know: Irishattitude is my girlfriend (and the human mother) of the Kit.

Babys name is Stella. She ate about .6ccs. She is still about 38grams. Other than that its just a matter of time.

I am so glad she is doing well. Keep feeding her every 2 hours, and make sure mom is doing the bottom cleaning. Good luck!

Back