Nutritional questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannahdear

How many times a week should you give your chinchilla timothy or alfalfa hay? As much as feeding pellets? Also, does it make sense to leave the pellets in the bowl or take out the food each day? I noticed they both flip it over. Kind of funny actually like they think their mouths don't move fast enough to eat it all. How much should you put in your bowl I know you may need to see it but like how many ounces or whatever the correct measurement is. If you want direct me to the thread where my questions are answered thats cool. Just want to know.

my understanding is chins should have free range to tim. hay at all times

Almost every pellet out there is alfalfa based. You don't need to give alfalfa hay, you give timmy.

If your chins are tipping the bowl over, it's not hard to figure out that maybe a feeder would be more appropriate. They can't tip them over as they are mounted on the side of the cage.

I fill up the bowl. When it's empty, or dirty, I fill it again.

get coup cups, they attach to the side. i give about 2 TB a day and dump it each night and refill, cause sometimes its dirty and sometimes there are just the half eaten pellets. i buy my food in bulk so it doesnt cost much but i only have 3. for those with lots more, i can see why they would conserve a bit more.
timothy hay all the time. i do give a pinch of either alfalfa or botanical hay and today i bought some oat hay to mix in. its a little more coarse......and just adds a little variety.

Oh cool. Thanks for that information. Is it that bad that they are flipping their bowl over? The reason I ask is because I thought it could mean something.

Last edited:
coup cups cool I'll look them up. Is there a brand I should look for? I mean it is cool if they knock it over if they are done but if they aren't I think they may get a little confused if you know what I mean lol.

You can get coop cups from Carise on forchinatechins.com. I don't know if it "means" anything that they're flipping them over other than for their own personal entertainment.

Back