not sure what to do next..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonniemorris

Mummy to 3 mad chinnies!
So my boys have been having playtime together for a few weeks,
and after having cages side by side, I decided I'd try a different method since it didn't seem to be having any effect.

They're now sharing a FN142 cage, one on the top and one on the bottom. I've moved the top tray around so now where the hole is there is just cage bars - so they can still see, smell and touch eachother.

Things have been going well, with Pip (the youngest) showing a lot of dominence, trying to hump Mr P a lot during playtime etc etc..

So today, after I cleaned the cage, I moved the tray so that to hole was there, just for an hour.. to see how they'd get on..

Mr P started to try and show more dominence, since it's now over a cage and not just a play area, and so was Pip.. after an hour and a little disagreement between the two (no fur pulling, blood or chasing), I moved the tray back so they were both back to their levels like planned...

Now, I just don't know what to do next, should I combine the two every now and again in the cage until they seem to be used to it? Or is there something I should be doing that I'm just missing?

P.s Sorry about the longish post!

I would put them in the other's cage for an evening to help them along getting used to each other's scent. Switch them back in the morning. Do that for several days, then try letting them have the hole in the cage again.

Another idea would be to put them in carriers, completely clean and rearrange the FN (to establish neutral territory), then placing them both on one level of the cage together (leaving hole open also).

Back