Not so nice female

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

I got 7 chinchillas (plus 2 rescues) here, and among them 2 breeding pairs. My last female got here mid April with her male from the Ryseron. She's just gorgeous, won section champ and reserve section champ this year. But her personality is just HORRIBLE.

As I don't have lots of chins, they're all like pets, I take a lot of time for each of them everyday. However, that female, Big Mama, is just sooo dominant. She'll pee on me, kack and wack and whatever you can guess if I try to get close. It's been a while and a lot of time now, but nothing's changed. I did cut her whiskers but no improvement. She won't let my hand get 'over' her. She wants to be on top. But she's only like this with humans cause it's going well with her male.

Do you have tips to slow down that severe dominant behaviour? It's making me sad a bit I have to admit, as I really like her but just can't get close. It's the first time I got a chin that resists that long to taming....especially since she was never mistreated or anything.

I have a girl like that here, a rescue. She was surrendered about a year ago and I was not told about this behavior when she came to me. I have tried and tried and there has been a bit of improvement, but she has sprayed me quite recently and I got a bite a little while ago. As far as I know she was not abused, but i don't know for sure.

You may not be able to "tame her", but being that you haven't had her that long, I would keep trying (sit by the cage, talk to her softly and just go really slowly). Fortunately, although I am not a breeder myself, I've heard that even the meanest chins can produce the sweetest babies...

Try not picking her up from the top side, it makes a lot of them skittish. Instead just slide your hand in under her to pick her up. Seems to make them much more comfortable and less jumpy.

Loll wish I could get as close as to get my hand under her :wacko: But thanks for the advice jags, I will really try to hold her differently when I have to.

I just try not to pick her up that much because it's always a fight and I feel it's not doing any good to our relation. She kicks and kicks whenever I have to hold her. When I want to clean her cage, I just put the dust bast in front of her and she hops in.

Really in 10 years, it's the first time I come across such a bad temper. Luckily she's not a rescue that needs to be rehomed!

Well think I got it...she's pregnant! :rofl: Nothing to improve her mood!

When I hand out a treat, she will not 'take it' from my hand, she will 'savagely rips it off' my hand....

My only worry is that I might have a harder time to get close/pick up the babies with her around. That will bring me to the questions of mom/kits behavior (that I will post in the right section).

One of my nastiest is a great mom and when I want the kits I just kinda nudge her out of the way. After several litters of me not flinching or backing down she is now all talk

I have one very pissy Momma here, it's hard to handle her kits as she tries to nip me when have my hands in there. On a good note, she has had 4 kits here with me and not one is like her. They are all very sweet and calm. She is a really good Mom though :)
Melanie

Back