Not separating male and female pair. Urgh...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Parent

This woman on craigslist who claims to have 15 years of chin rescuing experience refuses to separate a male and female bonded pair because they seem to be depressed when they're apart, and as she says, no one wants to see a sad chin. They've already had one kit together, and the woman seems to think she's pregnant again (the kit's only 12 weeks old). I offered to take the female, provided that they be separated, but she said that they have to go together. This just blows my mind. Is it just me, or is this a horrible situation for the chinchillas, who are rescues and most likely petstore chins?

How do you convince people like this to use their "experience" and do things that actually benefit the chins? I said that they had to be separated or he had to be castrated (and even then, they'd still have to be separated for 6 weeks). I don't have room for two more chinchillas (with more on the way), but oh god is it tempting.

Craigslist is for items and animals for sale or for free--it isn't intended for and never was intended for education. All she wants to do is sell these animals and that's it--you will get nowhere with her and she doesn't have to listen to you unfortunately.

If you get them tell you will leave them together..you dont actually have to leave them together. you say what you need to, to get out the door

I have the same exact situation here too. Problem is the people know they are doing it and refuse to correct it. The girlfriend is a vet tech and works for a shelter and the boyfriend is a vet. It makes me want to vomit.

Oh well what do we know, right?!!

Jessica

I would tell her you will take them and keep them together then separate them! At least then they are out of that situation.

Yeah, obviously trying to direct someone towards what they should be doing in a friendly way never got anyone anywhere. I really wish I had the resources to take them in, but sadly that's not the case now. I much prefer the owners that are doing things wrong but are willing to learn and correct their mistakes.

As an aside, she also claimed that chins don't breed as often as the internet would claim. This girl is pregnant for the second time this year, I don't know how you could say that isn't a lot.

Talking to people like that literally makes my body hurt.

How do you convince people like this to use their "experience" and do things that actually benefit the chins? I said that they had to be separated or he had to be castrated (and even then, they'd still have to be separated for 6 weeks). I don't have room for two more chinchillas (with more on the way), but oh god is it tempting.

I had a 'knowlegeable' home contact me about my foster girls. They had 15 years of experience. Treated with raisins, and let them out to play in their exercise balls, or on their harnesses/leashes. I knew that with 15 years of 'experience' there was nothing I could do or say to convince them otherwise. I just said no thanks, and we kept looking for the perfecect forever home.

If you really feel the need to help these chins rescue them together, separate when you get home. After the baby is born pair it with mom or dad depending on the sex, and rehome the chins properly. Just be prepared that you may be holding on to them for awhile. I was willing to keep my fosters indefinitely while we waited for the right home. Lucky for us it all worked out within a few months.

Back