not really chewers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scambone

I have three chinchillas. 2 boys and 1 girl. The girl is a chewing machine but the boys aren't really. I've tried variety of wood and chew toys but they dont seem that interested in it. Is that normal? they weren't really interested in the pumice stones either. one really likes wickerballs that i get from chinchillacity but outside of that he kind of snubs the wood. Ive been keeping an eye on their teeth but it still worries me that something is right. any ideas or suggestions?

All of my chinchillas have different tastes in toys and the time they spend chewing on them. I would try some wood from a fruit tree that is from a vendor on the board if you haven't. Otherwise keep offering or leave the toys as longs as they remain clean. I really think with pellets and hay your guys should be just fine.

Mine doesn't really chew anything but wood with bark - sticks and twigs. He has a ton of hanging toys, but he doesn't touch anything but the sticks - he chews the bark off, then he's done. I just ordered a pound of sticks from Whimsy so I could give him one a day as a "treat" in addition to his other toys. I would just try to find something he likes, like the willow balls, and make sure he has plenty of those - that, plus the hay and pellets and he should be OK!

I have 4 boys and 1 girl. The boys all chew sticks when I hand them out at night but for the most part leave their wooden furniture alone. My girl on the other hand is a chewaholic. She will destroy anything she can chew. She's like a furry termite.

Ours are the same way. Marble is like a little termite and will tear through her toys sometimes overnight. ZZ can have the same toy in his cage for weeks or even months before it's destroyed. He loves his hay and pellets though, so I don't really worry about him. He'd rather run on his wheel than chew toys.

We also have 2 boys and a girl and the girl chews everything and destroys her toys within hours of giving them to her. Is this normal? and what can we do differently so she will won't destroy her whole living quarters?

I only have 1 girl and 6 boys and she chews more than all the boys put together! The amount of chewing the boys do varies, but everyone seems to love apple sticks especially. Most only take the bark off and never touch the rest of the stick again. I also give them all pumice stones, which they chew on occasionally and blue cloud rocks, which don't last more than a week. I think as long as you provide things to chew on they will take care of themselves.

Back