Not pooping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scambone

I just recently bought two chinchillas to go along with my other four. Everyone was recently taken to the vet and giving a good bill of health. The Vet and I discussed neutering and came to the conclusion that we’ll neuter all the boys (5 out of 6 are boys). So last Tuesday they were fixed. I let them rest a few days and took them out Thursday to get out of cage exercise. I called the vet multiple times for different reasons ie: when can they take dust baths, is it okay to have their wheel in there with them, no poop. Well everyones pooper seemed to be working and everything seemed fine. Well Sunday I noticed Stan Lee hasn’t really bathed and he looked greasy so I put him in a pot and covered him in dust. He’d only do half rolls in the bath and slow. I was worried but I figured he was sore. So I take him down stairs with his cage mate Tucker and noticed Tuck was in the corner sitting. No biggie, Indy does sit all the time. So the next morning I wake up and Tucker is in the same exact position. I pick him up and his whole underneath is s oaked. I take him upstairs to the bathroom and see if he’d run but he just shifts back and forth. Something isn’t right. I call the vet and get him right in. They say he was dehydrated and weak so they put an IV in him and hours later he passed away. Freaking I took Stan Lee to the vet and the vet gave Stan Lee a shot of meds for pain but said his temp was fine, he wasn’t dehydrated. Take him home and watch him. I saw him eat some hay and some pellets but no water. Worried so I took him to the vet again the next morning and all they did was monitor him and said well just keep syringe feeding and watering him until he poops. After doing research all night in between rubbing his belly and giving him the syringe I saw that people give their chins baby gas relief drops and mineral oil. He’s had two very small doses and he’s still not pooping. What else can I do?

You can't treat for this problem IMO without a x-ray-using mineral oil in this situation and there is a impaction will make the problem worse ten fold, you need to know if the no poo is because of gas, a impaction or stasis. This chin should have been put on motility drugs and pain meds if the x-ray was clear of a impaction. You are treating without a diagnosis, a dangerous situation.

The vet was the one to suggest getting them all neutered and he has worked on chinchillas so I took his word for it. It turns out after taking Stan Lee to the second vet is that he was in too much pain to eat and she put him on some antibiotics and pain meds. I told her what I read about the gas relief and mineral oil and she didn’t rip my head off like you two have. I’m sorry I don’t make my chinchillas live in a fleece bubble and I make mistakes, I was just trying to do what I thought was best for my chinchilla in the time of need when no vet was around. I’ve noticed that MOST people on this site thinks they are Chinchilla whispers and snap at anyone who says or does anything not to your standards. Instead of ripping people’s heads off, how about you try suggesting NICELY something to do or not to do without coming off as a jerk, especially when they’re already stressed that their animals are sick in the first place. For example instead of telling you to get some raid to get that bug out your as…and stop being a bitc…I’m going to say please reply kindly to those who are stressed and already grieving for their fur babies.
Oh and Stan Lee is doing a lot better and that’s all I’m leaving you with because I won’t be back to a site where people jump into other peoples shi…

And we appreciate you leaving since you have a ridiculously immature potty mouth. Do you think if I tell you to f*** off that it makes it less noticeable because I put some stars in there?

If you disagree with something that's fine, but your "pretend" swearing was unnecessary. You were given correct answers, you didn't like what was said. That's okay, but you could have just ignored it instead of getting all wound up.

I'm frankly shocked by this thread - maybe I just don't get it but I would never get more than 1 chinchilla neutered at a time (& I've had quite a few successfully done throughout the years) because of the possibility of post-op complications. There's just too much to observe with each chin - seeing the early signs of deterioration (not eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, pain ......) is vital to the chins' survival.

What in the world brought you & your vet to the conclusion that all 5 boys needed neutering in the first place? Worse still, 5 chins neutered all at once?? Sheer lunacy!

What saddens me on this thread is that your vet agreed to operate on multiple chins at once, that you obviously were not supplied with enough information, & that you have chosen to attack members who are showing their surprise at the situation but who are also trying to help you.

All in all I feel desperately sorry for your chinchillas - please listen to the advice you have been given.

For what it is worth ..... I really hope the other 4 survive this dreadful ordeal.

Post-op care:
http://www.davidson-chinchillas.co.uk/pages/initial_post_operative_care_of_chinchillas_following_surgery.php

Latest posts

Back