Not fungus...right?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilight24

Chocolate tic tacs galore
I came home last night and let the girls out to play and my goodness! Sasha is missing a nice chunk of hair out of her tail. I immediatley worried it was fungus, but after closer inspection it looks like maybe Jules took it out or Sasha chewed it out??? Idk, but the skin is nice and pink and doesn't look scaly like with fungus. Just wanted to make sure. What do you think?
Let me know if I need some better photos.

Attachments

• Sasha Hair issue 001.jpg
    Sasha Hair issue 001.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 59
  • Sasha Hair issue 002.jpg
    Sasha Hair issue 002.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 52
Jules is probably chewing on her tail. Most of the time it seems to be dominance type chewing and the chins usually do not do it to themselves unless they have an injury or discomfort. (However, I have seen chins chew right at that location for seemingly no reason.) It doesn't look like fungus and I don't think that anyone is hurting anyone else. Just watch it and see if it stays the same or gets worse. I don't know why but that seems to be a popular place for chins to chew without even touching other parts of the tail or coat.

From the pictures it looks as though the tail has been rubbed by something or got stuck someplace. Look her over real well for any other abnormal areas. Carefully look between her hind legs, around her ears, face and feet. Look at her cagemates too.

If she has no other abnormal fur areas then she is most likely OK. Watch her for any changes to the blad spot and be certain she is eating, drinking and pooing normally.

She isnt much for being held so anytime you pick her up she tends to slip. Her cagemate jules is the dominant one so I was wondering if it could be her doing it. I looked both over and I don't see any other areas of concern.
I'm just paranoid about getting fungus, with it being spring the humidity becomes a concern for me.
She is also eating, drinking and producing poos normally. Would that be an issue associated with fungus?

Last edited:
She is also eating, drinking and producing poos normally. Would that be an issue associated with fungus?

No, abnormal eating, drinking and pooing is not usually associated with fungus unless it gets really bad. However any time you notice a possible health issue with a chin you should keep an eye on eating, drinking and pooing.

Back