Not changing pellets, but may be adding one as a treat.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
I brought Crash with me for Christmas at my boyfriend's parents' house. His dad is retired, but works in a PetCo for something to do. He knows little about chins, but is, however, adamant that every animal in the family gets a present, and asked what he could pick up at work for Crash.

I suggested anything made of pumice (Crash's favorite chew), or barring that a bag of Oxbow Timmy Hay and explained that "I get all his food and treats from good, safe sources, so he doesn't really need anything along those lines."

He brought home this: http://www.carefresh.com/about/news...te-offers-high-quality-diet-for-small-animals

(Percentages)
Crude Protein: 14
Crude Fat: 2
Crude Fiber: 20
Crude Moisture: 10

Ingredients: Timothy hay, orchard grass, Brome grass, alfalfa, soybean meal, corn, oats, ground split peas, banana, brewers dried yeast, molassas, yeast, yeast extract, sodium bentonite, lignin sulfate, DL methionine, L-lysine, vit. e. supplement, L-ascorbyl-2 polyphosphate (vit. c), choline chloride, anise, natural and artificial flavors, salt, ferrous sulfate, biotin, yucca schidigera extract, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, niacinamide, vit b 12, rosemary extract, mixed tocopherols, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, beta carotene, vit. a, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, folic acid, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, menadion sodium bisulfite (vit K), vit d3, cobald sulfate.

Over all, it's not as bad as Charlie Chinchilla, though obviously when I just switched him onto PANR, I'm not changing his diet again. My thought is, though, that since some of the stuff in the bag is a compressed hay pellet with a variety of 4 different chin-safe grasses, I could take out the corn nuggets and let Crash have small amounts of the pellets occasionally as a treat, and give my hamster the banana chips and some of the corn nuggets. (It's about the only way I can see to make this gift work/avoid a store return and disappoint my well-meaning host.)

Would adding an additional pellet to his diet be any cause for concern, as long as I keep it under a teaspoon worth or so at a time?

I personally would either take it back to the store for a store credit and get some hay, or just toss it. I see that there are ground split peas in the mix - is that in the pellets? I wouldn't feed it to any of my chins, not even as a treat.

I personally would either take it back to the store for a store credit and get some hay, or just toss it. I see that there are ground split peas in the mix - is that in the pellets? I wouldn't feed it to any of my chins, not even as a treat.

I agree. He will do fine without having treats for awhile. I wouldn't give them just to "please the host."

There was a thread about the carefresh pellets a while back. It's contains unnecessary junk food. I agree with Stack. I would not feed it just to please your host. You just need to explain to him that although you appreciate his gift, chins require a specialized diet and the stuff from pet stores is not acceptable.

Who knows? Maybe you can educate him on how chins REALLY should be cared for. Then there would be at least one pet store employee who knows what they are talking about. :)

Back