New Violet Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
Well I got the little chin that was in sad sad condition from a fight he was in over 2 weeks ago. He had one eye open when I got him, has numerous bites on his back, ears and his mouth is messed up too...

I stopped at a vet on my way home - with the chin - and spoke with a vet who was super helpful. Two vet techs used warm water and gauze to wipe his eyes gently and after the crusties were gone - he could open both eyes!! The vet prescribed Baytril (and they flavored it apple for an additional $23!) and also an eye ointment for his eyes - which the corneas are scratched. His lip was torn pretty badly, and part of it is necrotic (dead) and the vet said it will fall off on it's own (rather than her remove it). He also has a patch about the size of a quarter on his back right side where there is a large bite - and a lot of the hair is gone - he may not get hair to grow back there she said.

Andrea (Forever Feisty Chinchilla Rescue) was super helpful in recommending drops instead of ointment - so hubby is going back to the vet this morning for drops.

This little chin, who I was told is a violet (if anyone thinks differently, please advise)....and he doesn't even have a name. I can't call him little guy - because that's the name of another chin I am getting next month. He has got TONS of personality - considering what he's been through - and is a total little sweetie.

I am open to suggestions and am posting a few photos of him when I got him home. The cage he is in - is only temporary. I am picking up a FN on Thursday (yay CL!)

Small1.JPG

Small2.JPG

Small3.JPG

He is a violet wrap, and already looks so much better! Yay, I was really worried about this little guy.

That is the saddest thing I have ever seen. I am glad you rescued him. Kudos to you!! :)

Violet makes me think of purple,purple makes me think of Prince for a name.
I'm so glad he found you to care for him!

Last edited:
Aw poor guy, so glad you've taken him in. I hope he makes a full recovery. I can't imagine that they left him like that for two weeks, that is so horrible! When I rescued a chin a while back I named him Chance, I really like that name. The new owners of the chin renamed him, so he's no longer a Chance. But I think it's a great name for a rescue :))

I agree with Chantel - violet wrap, and young at that! Don't remember your previous post about his age, or who beat him up, but he's looking to be well on his way to recovery - good job!
You'd be surprised at chins recouperating abilities - I've had a couple of bad fights out of nowhere, and they've recovered without scars!

I love Prince for a violet wrap. That is really cute. It could also be considered that he is a little prince for all that he has been through. I really can't believe they let him get to that condition. I would want to call Animal Cruelty on them so fast. Best of Luck with him, whatever you decide to name him.

Frequent dust baths will go a long way to helping him feel better, too. They'll help clean up his fur, and help him relax as he adjusts to his new surroundings. And like I mentioned last night, keep an eye on his appetite while on the baytril. :)

LOL- a new violet ocelot! This is really funny whatever is going on. All the poor chins have turned to ocelots and hedgies to platepi!

AWWW you will be able to take care of this gorgeous guy you took in this violet Prince...I like that name as well but whatever you choose will be great! I'm so glad you was able to take him!

So Jill, does that mean that you are keeping him? I need to know because I have found people who are willing to transport him to CT for me.

You know I will still take him with no problem if it will be too much for you with the other chins you will be getting.

awww....poor little guy...luckily he has you...he is so cute...he needs some love and TLC...you are doing great...i wish him a speedy recovery!!! someone suggested the name Prince...i like that :)

Back