New unsocialized hedgie help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnwk1

It is what it is....
First let me say that I am only looking for positive helpful advice and not rude comments that one certain mod seems to like to say. Three days ago I rescued a 4 month old little boy from a horrible situation and added him to our family and long story short on top of some health problems that have been taken care of (he went to the vet the day after I got him) he is also very badly unsocialized and therefore is a very grouchy, untrusting little guy. I have been doing and already know the basic stuff about socializing a baby so please don't just tell me the basics such as spending lots of time with him and holding him a lot, or letting him sleep on me, etc. What I am looking for is possibly any other little tricks that someone might have up their sleeve that has worked before for a very grouchy hedgie. I've already for the most part broken him of the popping, but he is still extremely huffy if I touch, pick him up, or even look at him and immediately quills go up if any of the above happens. He deserves this second chance as it wasn't his fault he was put into the kind of situation he was and I have faith that here he can be a happy little boy that doesn't always feel he has to be defensive. I've never had a hedgie that was this defensive and grouchy before so any positive comments about little tricks that have worked would be greatly appreciated. I would love to have him calmed down enough to take to the hedgie show with my other baby here in a few months. :banghead:

Some hedgehogs never socialize. Period.

And really there are only "basics" that will get you anywhere with him. There is no trick or magic wand. Also, the nasty attitude will get you nowhere. I dont know which "mod" upset you but nasty attitude is met with nasty attitude.. if ever met at all.

On the note: BASICS: Earn his trust. Sit in a dark quiet room. Put blanket on him and speak softly. Depending on your singing voice, try a soft song. Do it every day and try to keep a schedule. Let him explore you and get used to your scent and sound and touch. Also, you can attempt to bribe him with his favorite snacks/mealies. Be persistant, dont give up, and start slow.

Like I said before, some hedgehogs never socialize. I had a boy who had been an angry little man until the day he died. He was 4. He even got stress poop if handled too long. It happens and doesn't mean you are a bad owner. Good luck!

Time. Patience. Learn what the hedgehog really dislikes. Give mealworms when they are on your lap. And, one very important step... get him on a schedule and stick to it daily.

The blanket method mentioned above for socializing is wonderful. Being under a blanket provides them with a sense of security. Let him lay there under the blanket and don't touch him. Read a book, watch television... talk quietly to him, move some... all these things will help him to learn that you are not going to hurt him. As he starts to settle move your hand under the blanket, closer to him and eventually start to touch him.

Mealworms are an awesome way to get a hedgehog to like you. Offer mealworms when you get him up at night. Offer mealworms when he uncurls on your lap and starts to look around. Give them when you are there and are having positive reactions.

Schedules are very important in my opinion. Hedgehogs are creatures of habit. Get him on a set schedule and stick to it. He will learn what to expect and when to expect it. They know when supper time is, when mealworm time is, when its time to come out of their cage etc.

Reduce as many stressors as possible (that schedule above helps reduce stress). Reduce new interactions, travel, etc. for a while. It helps. He needs to learn that his environment is safe, that you are safe, and that you are trustworthy.

thanks kalandra appreciate it, but none of the above helps with him. he hates being under a blanket and hates mealworms and crickets both and won't even try any treats period lol. he's a stubborn one, i'm still trying to get him to eat period (he is only now eating a few kibble a night, he wouldn't eat at all for the first few days and yes I've talked to the vet again today about him giving him an update and I do weigh him everyday and he is gaining which is good since he was at least 100 grams underweight for his age and size when I got him). he is also on a schedule, both of my babies are which provides plenty of socializing, cuddle, play, and a lot of sleep time since they are babies. I've had hedgies for over 12 years, but none that have been as grouchy and unsocialized as him so just figured any extra little tips might help. I know time and patience (even though it does get hard sometimes to remember that all the bad things he went through he went through for 4 long months so its gonna take some time for him to learn to trust and that he is safe now) is probably what will help him the most. I have faith in the little man though and the good thing is he is still a baby so maybe just maybe.....;) he is a cutie though and looked like such a sweet little guy when he was sleeping on me last night until he woke up jumping and huffing lol.

It sounds like you know what to do then. Unsocialized hedgehogs can be a challenge. Even adults can learn to trust. Cooper was a very angry and defensive 2 year 4 month old hedgehog. He also aggressively bit he was so mad. It took months to gain his trust. Holding him under a blanket was nearly impossible as he remained in a popping hissing quill ball, and if you didn't back off he would bite anything he could get a hold of, curl back up and grind his teeth. He meant business. He had no idea what insects were either.

I sat with him for hours. I sat him on my lap and put a blanket over us. He would pop, hiss and bite the blanket. I sat next to his cage with the lights turned off and hummed to him. This entire time he never stopped biting. He broke skin a few times.

Given enough time though, he stopped biting, decided to eat mealworms, and learned I was ok. The more time went by the friendlier he got... to the point that last October I was talked into showing him at the Milwaukee hedgehog show, where he took grand champion senior male. Not too bad for an angry hedgehog.

General Patton was mistreated. He was 2.5 when I got him. He too was angry and a biting hedgehog. Again the same procedures as mentioned before paid off. It took 6 months, but General Patton was just a very sweet, shoulder cuddler. When asked to show off a hedgehog to someone who had never met a hedgehog, he was my choice.

I tell you these in hopes it gives you a little hope that even if he was an adult, there is always a chance to turn them around.

lol sounds just like Jeremiah and again thank you Kalandra it does give a little more hope. i know inside this scared little guy is a very sweet guy we just gotta get there some how. and i totally agree, no matter the age (adult or just babies) there is a chance that any of them can turn around into sweet hedgies if given the chance, attention, and love that they all so rightly deserve.

When you receive posts you find offensive, there is a little triangle in the upper right hand corner of the message box that you can use to report it rather than posting it on the forum.

As for your little guy, my little girl used to be just like that but she is slowly (and I mean slowly) coming around. One of the best things I found was a hedgie bag (a fleece bag) that she could snuggle in. They can burrow into the corners and feel the bag all around them for security. I lay it on my chest while I watch TV every night. I talk and very gently stroke her through the blanket. The first few weeks she huffed up in a ball every time I touched her but with consistency she came around. Now I can even touch her quills when she is out of the bag and she doesn't usually huff up ... but that took probably 6 weeks to get to that stage.

I still cannot touch her belly, but she no longer flinches at sound when I hold her and it takes her less time to come out of her ball than before. I do find if I miss a few days of routine, she takes a couple steps back which can be discouraging. :banghead: So the routine is super important. But, she is warming up!

I know some hedgies never come around, but sometimes being a grump is just as cute as being friendly (I love when Lex pulls down her quill brow half way while she decides whether to quill up or not)!

Anyway, Good luck! I hope your little guy starts to warm up soon and that all your hard work pays off.

EDIT: I forgot to add, my vet recommended warming up her temperature from 74 to closer to 80. I did that and find she is more comfortable and less grumpy. It's even better when I keep the lights off... maybe trying warming up his enclosure by a degree or two?

Last edited:
thanks lexieheg. as for warming up his enclosure i don't have central a/c so right now with temps being over 100 here it is right at 80 in their room which i am watching carefully and have actually had to bring them to sleep in the kiddie pool in the dining room a couple days which is next to the living room that i have a window a/c in so it's a little cooler (but not too cold) for them so they are not getting too overheated. everyday it seems he is making some progress when he wants to ;) he unrolls really quickly for me now, but still huffs and partially balls everytime i try to pick him up or look at him lol. after play/potty time when both him and his baby brother (not biologically) are sleeping on me while watching tv i can pet him somewhat. he huffs, but his quills usually remain down part of the time anyway. other times he will wake up suddenly and see my hand (whether i'm petting him or not) or whatever and start huffing for no reason. i'm starting to think maybe he's bipolar lol jk. so moral of the story is that as in your little girl slowly he is (hopefully) making progress. also as in with your girl he flinches with every little sound or movement, but i did try singing to him (as kalandra suggested) last night during commercials and it really did seem to help. he seemed to relax quite a bit when the music was playing and i was singing to him. i agree his grumpiness is kinda cute and funny at times.

Singing and humming really seems to help. I hum. If I can get a hedgehog to lay down on my chest, I find that humming seems to help sooth or calm some hedgehogs.

It sounds like he is making great progress for you.

Unfortunately everyone beat me to some of the best advice I could give! I just wanted to note though that I also have a grumpy hedgehog (thus, named Grumpy) and he was simply born that way. I raised him from a baby and paid lots of attention to him, tried to bribe him/coax him with treats, play soft music in his room, tshirt trick, holding him for hours, you name it. Simply, there's no changing him. Like Melissa said, some hedgehogs just do not socialize. You can still give him a long and happy life though. It's just going to be more on his terms than yours! Haha. Just wanted to put in my two cents to let you know you're not alone. Don't give up, but don't take it to heart if he doesn't come around! They are the way they are sometimes.

Back