New Shelf Dilemma!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurilla22

I'm switching my chins into a new cage. I bought this cage from petsmart and took out the plastic shelves and ramps.

cage1.jpg

So i replaced the plastic with wooden shelves and a long shelf across the back
2012-01-20221558.jpg

Problem is, my chin has fallen a couple times so im worried the shelves are not safe for him. He is not use to having room to run like in this cage, so could it be the fact that he is not use to the shelves? Or should i try to rearrange the shelves?

I would not worry about rearranging. Chins have a "pattern" to which they run in a cage they are familiar with. He probably just needs time to acclimate himself to the new formation. He's fully capable of running your configuration. :)

Same goes to when/if you change the shelves. He needs some time to "navigate" the new positions.

Just give him some time with the new pattern and he will be fine. He might fall, but hopefully not too far.

Personally I tell people if they have a high cage where there is an area when if the chin falls he could hurt himself (I know of people who had chins fall and break their neck/back) put a fleece hammock across the middle of the cage. That way the fall would be 'broken' safely. Several people on CnH can make the hammocks to your measurements. I had a few made by Threewingedfury (Tiffany) that did the job. Funny thing is I found the chins loved jumping on to the hammock deliberately

That was my first cage. I had to make a lot of modifications to make it safe. I added shelves going across the middle of the cage under the middle door, to break up the fall. Also, it's great that you covered the bottom in fleece. However, the holes in the grate underneath are way to big for chinchilla feet. Your chin could burrow under the liner and get his/her feet caught in the grate. Ours got her foot caught, we had to take her to the vet to have the grate cut out from around her foot. She had a lot of scrapes and sores for several weeks. We're pretty sure that the only reason she didn't break her leg is because we were there right when it happened. After that we took the bottom great out. We used metal wire to attach 1/2" x 1/2" chicken wire to the bottom of the white metal frame, and then we set that in the plastic base, and covered that with fleece. Honestly that cage was more trouble then it was worth. If you just got it I would suggest returning it and getting something like a ferret nation or other cage that requires less modifications.

I always make sure there is no straight down section. Either use hammocks as suggested or move some shelves so there isn't a long drop if your chin does fall.

I love the FN cage but right now i dont have the money for it. So im going to put a full shelf under the middle door and cover it in fleece, and rearrange the spacing of the shelves. I'm also going to cover up the grates in the floor. Still in the process of making a hammock, hiding house, and a tube for them. :)

Back